Welcome to Naval Air Station Pensacola located on the Gulf Coast in Pensacola, Florida. We are committed to fully support the operational and training missions of tenants assigned, enhancing the readiness of the U.S. Navy, its related armed services and other customers.
NAS Whiting Field is the busiest naval air station in the world, responsible for an estimated 46 percent of the Chief of Naval Air Training Command’s total flight time and more than 11 percent of Navy and Marine Corps total flight time. More than 1,200 service personnel complete their essential flight training here yearly.
The site now occupied by Naval Air Station Pensacola has a colorful historical background dating back to the 16th century when Spanish explorer Don Tristan de Luna founded a colony on the bluff where Fort Barrancas is now situated. In the ensuing years, the flags of Spain, France, Great Britain, the Confederacy and the United States have flown over the strategic port of Pensacola.
The city of Pensacola has a rich history full of everything from archeological sites to significant historical events and interestingly enough, was the first European settlement in 1559. In 1743, the first commercial export cargo left the Port of Pensacola and consisted of pine, pitch products and the wooden masts and spars for sailing ships. In 1825, Secretary of State John Quincy Adams ordered the establishment of forts as well as the navy yard at Pensacola, which signaled the beginning of the Navy’s long association with the city and its people. Visit the Historic Pensacola Village archeological site downtown located in the historic district for an in-depth look into Pensacola’s history to include recreated homes, kitchens and shops full of re-enactors giving demonstrations. Some of the stops on these guided tours include the 1805 French Creole Lavalle House and the 1832 Old Christ Church which is one of the oldest masonry church structures in Florida. Some museums in the area include Florida State Museum at 330 S. Jefferson St. and Pensacola Children’s Museum at 115 E. Zaragoza St.