Updated On: 8/16/2012 5:07:40 PM
Wright-Patterson is located in southwestern Ohio and is surrounded by the cities of Fairborn, Beavercreek, Huber Heights, and Dayton. Gate 12A is our primary vehicle entrance point on State Route 444 in Fairborn, Ohio.
Has a workforce numbering approximately 27,400 people, making it the fifth largest employer in the state of Ohio and the largest employer at a single location. More than 18,000 of these people are civilians.
Wright Patterson Air Force Base is 30.5 km² (11.8 sq mi) spread over areas A and B.
- Is the birthplace, home and future of aerospace.
- Is in many measures the largest, most diverse and organizationally complex base in the Air Force. Missions range from acquisition and logistics management, to research and development, education, flight operations and many other defense related activities.
- Is home to the foremost aeronautical and aerospace research organization in the Air Force, the Air Force Research Laboratory.
- Supports more than 100 organizations here and at separate locations in a nine state area representing a host of Air Force and DoD missions.
- Includes the Air Force Institute of Technology, which trains thousands of students each year, and the Air Force Museum which receives more than 1.3 million visitors a year.
- Has some of the finest family-oriented recreational programs in the Air Force.
- Has a very modern commissary-base exchange complex with nearly four acres under one roof, making it one of the Air Force’s largest and best.
- Has approximately 850 facilities on base.
- Has an annual payroll of approximately $2.05 billion.
- Has the second largest medical center in the Air Force.
- Employs almost 1 of every 20 people working in the greater Dayton area.
- Has an overall economic impact on the surrounding community of $4.5 billion.