Belle Chasse Academy
Located on NAS JRB New Orleans in Belle Chasse, Louisiana, Belle Chasse Academy (BCA) is the first public charter school on a military installation.
BCA opened its doors in September 2002 and has a current enrollment of about 950 students in grades K-8. Conceived by military personnel, educators and community leaders in 2000, BCA incorporated as a Louisiana nonprofit corporation in January 2001. The Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education has approved BCA as a Type II charter.
BCA serves children of active-duty, Reserve and retired military members and civilian employees, providing a challenging, research-proven core curriculum for all students. Complementing the school’s rigorous academic program is a structured, orderly environment, shaped in large measure by a fully integrated character-education program.
The mission of BCA is to educate military-dependent children, no matter their background or previous school experience, to fully achieve their personal and academic potential. It has established and continues to sustain a quality community charter school that fosters an educational environment focused on academic excellence and tailored to the needs of the military-dependent child, specifically providing:
- Acknowledgement of the unique needs of the military child.
- Reduction of service-connected disruption and stress.
- Substantial, direct community and parental participation.
The following documentation must be presented at the time of enrollment:
- Child’s Social Security card.
- Military ID (Sponsor/Parent).
- End-of-year report card from previous school year.
- Proof of residence (lease, if living on base).
- Copy of the current Individual Education Plan if the student has been receiving special education services.
- Standardized test scores if entering from home-school.
- Child’s original birth certificate.
- Louisiana Education Assessment Program scores for fifth-graders if entering from a Louisiana school.
- Documentary proof of adequate immunizations: DTaP — diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough); IPV (inactive polio virus); MMR — measles, mumps, rubella (German measles); hepatitis B; and varicella (chicken pox). All students are required to present evidence of having the appropriate number of vaccine doses. Consult the school nurse for the appropriate number of doses. All students 11 and older must have proof of immunization for TDap (tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis) and meningococcal conjugate vaccine.
For more information, visit www.bellechasseacademy.org or call 504-433-5850.