1. Information
  2. Motor Vehicles

Motor Vehicles

Last Updated :

Registration and Licensing Requirements

Fuel Station, Naval Support Activity Annapolis


Maryland State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the Military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving. Access complete information on insurance, driver’s licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the State Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Base Regulations

Effective July 1, all bases that fall under Navy Installations Command are no longer requiring vehicle decals for base access.

Pass and ID

All military and civilian faculty and staff must register their vehicles with the USNA Complex Pass and Tag Office located at the Visitors Access Center at Gate 1 to the U.S. Naval Academy. The Center is located at the corner of King George and Randall Streets. Call 410-293-5762 for information. The office is open Monday - Friday, 7:30 A.M. - 3:30 P.M.

To register your vehicle, bring the following:

  • Current Registration
  • Valid Driver's License
  • Military or USNA ID card
  • Proof of current Insurance


Maryland State Traffic Laws are strictly enforced (patrols/radar). Three citations in a 12 month period will result in a warning letter. Fourth citation results in loss of driving and parking privileges aboard the USNA Complex.

Motorcycles -- Require completed approved safety course and proper safety gear.

Driver License

A military member, who does not claim Maryland as his/her state of residence, is not required to obtain a Maryland driver's license or register a car (in their name alone) in Maryland. This is based on the protections of the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act (Federal Law). However, they must maintain a valid driver's license and registration in some state or D.C.

If a military member's spouse or family member accompanies them to Maryland, and they are likely to reside in Maryland for more than 1 year, Maryland law requires them to get Maryland licenses. Spouses are supposed to get a Maryland driver's license if they work in the state.

To obtain a MD driver's license, you must appear in person with your current license, SSN, proof of insurance, and original or certified copy of your birth certificate.

Automobile Inspections

A safety inspection is required when a vehicle is brought into the state or ownership changes. Vehicle Emissions Inspections are required every two years and cost $14. Automobile owners are notified by mail when inspection is due. For information on Vehicle Emissions inspections, call 800-638-8347 or call 410-760-0400.


© 2020 - MARCOA Media