Originally founded as the Town of Providence in 1805, the town was renamed the Town of Fairfax in 1874 and became the City of Fairfax in 1961. With a current population of over 22,000 people, the City of Fairfax was ranked #3 in the Forbes Magazine pool "Top 25 Places to Live Well" in May 2009.
Fairfax County Courthouse
The circa 1800 courthouse, located at 4000 Chain Bridge Road, is still in use today. During the American Civil War, control of the courthouse changed hands several times as both armies sought to use it.
Historic Blenheim and the Civil War Interpretive Center
The Historic Blenheim house was built in 1859 and served as a refugee and reserve hospital for Union soldiers during the Civil War. The attic of the house is home to some of the best-preserved war graffiti in the country and more than 115 Union soldiers inscribed their names, regiments and thoughts on the walls.
National Firearms Museum
The NRA's National Firearms Museum houses over 2,000 historic firearms tracing their development over more than 600 years.