1. Information
  2. Education & Academics

Education & Academics

Last Updated :

General Information

Freedom Elementary Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, Fort Sill


Learning happens throughout life. Schools exist to make learning more efficient for more people, but much learning goes on outside a formal learning environment. Still, we associate learning with schools, so when we move to a new locale, we want to know about the school system, private schools, charter schools, home schooling, libraries, special education, higher education beyond high school, vocational ed, technical training and whatever else will help our kids and ourselves navigate life better. Most K-12 schooling for Fort Sill youngsters is through Lawton Public Schools, on the south edge of Fort Sill. 


Lawton Public Schools

753 Fort Sill Blvd. 
Lawton, OK 73505 (580) 357-6900
Lawton Public Schools consists of 24 elementary schools, four middle schools and four high schools. All the schools in Lawton are accredited by the Oklahoma State Department of Education. The school year generally runs from late August to mid May. LPS offers numerous programs designed to assist the intellectual, emotional, social and physical development of all students. These programs include: gifted and talented, summer enrichment, extensive special education services, Oklahoma Parents as Teachers program for parents of children from birth to three years, pre-kindergarten classes, transitional first grade, in-school programs for pregnant girls, school-to-work and limited English proficiency programs. 

Attendance Areas
All elementary students that live on Fort Sill will attend either Geronimo Road or Sheridan Road Elementary schools. Students in middle or high school grade levels will attend Central Middle School or Lawton High School. Students who will be residing in Lawton may view attendance area maps at

All families new to the Lawton/Fort Sill area with children to enroll into the Lawton Public Schools (LPS) district should visit the Centralized Enrollment Center (CEC), 102 East Gore, (580) 248 7704 as soon as arriving into the community. To enroll, the student must be 4 years old by Sept. 1. 

Required Documents: 
Proof of residency (must consist of a mortgage/lease statement or a utility bill showing service established). 
Certified birth certificate (the hospital souvenir copies are not accepted). 
Immunization records (all Oklahoma state required immunizations must be complete). 
Withdrawal form from the previous school (required during the active school calendar). 
Parents who do not have the required documents listed above will first need to go to the Student Services office located in the Frederick Douglass 
Professional Development Center, 102 E. Gore, to obtain permission to enroll, or parents may request to speak to an executive director if needed. Enrollment packets may be downloaded from:

No Child Left Behind Act Annual Report Card
To view Lawton Public School's Academic Performance Index and Accountability data, visit

Private Schools

Many parents enjoy the option of providing a private school education for their children. Find information about local private schools at the City of Lawton's website

Home Schooling
Home Educators' Resource Organization (HERO) of Oklahoma sponsors a website designed to be an inclusive statewide resource that acts as a networking tool for support groups and home schooling families in the state. 

Universties/Higher Education

Cameron University
Cameron University offers more than 60 undergraduate degrees and four graduate programs at the Lawton campus. On-post courses are offered in short-term, noon-hour and evening formats. 

The university also offers a degree completion program that is designed to allow working adults an opportunity to complete a bachelor's degree. This program combines past college work with a series of courses in online and evening formats. In some cases, student's work and life experiences may count for college credit. This is a flexible program that allows adults to earn a bachelor of science in organizational leadership. 

Additionally, associate of science and bachelor of science degrees in interdisciplinary studies are offered. These degrees are designed to serve active-duty personnel and goal-directed students whose educational needs are not met by one of the university's present majors. 

Contact an on-site admissions and advising representative for additional information by calling (580) 355-8211. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each work day. 

Central Texas College
Central Texas College representatives serve as a point-of-contact for students and provide such services as degree mapping, registering active duty Soldiers and civilians for classes, guidance to distance learning students and acting as a liaison to Veterans Affairs. 

CTC offers associate of applied science degrees in applied management, applied management with computer applications, business management, criminal justice, legal assistant/paralegal, information technology, business programmer analyst, restaurant and culinary management, and hotel management specialization. CTC offers associates of arts degrees in general studies and social science. 

To enroll or for more information, call the CTC Fort Sill registrar at (580) 343-7551, or visit the CTC office in Truman Education Center. 

Columbia College
At Columbia College-Fort Sill, everything is geared toward helping military personnel and other working adults improve their lives through higher education. Whether you want to finish a degree you started years ago or are attending college for the first time, Columbia College can help you earn an affordable college degree. 

The college offers associate and bachelor's degrees as well as three online master's degrees. Traditional and online undergraduate classes make it convenient for the adult student to complete a degree. Call (580) 353-7884 or visit the website for more information. 

The University of Oklahoma
The University of Oklahoma Outreach offers the adult learner the opportunity to pursue a master's or doctoral degree on the main campus in Norman and at sites across U.S. and Europe. These courses are brought to you by internationally known OU faculty members and distinguished scholars who are committed to providing you with academic excellence. 

At the Harry S. Truman Education Center on Fort Sill, OU outreach offers the following programs to military personnel, civil service personnel and civilians: master of human relations, master of arts with an emphasis in international relations, master of arts with a major in economics, and a master of arts with a major in communication

The degrees are non-thesis; instead there is a comprehensive exam towards the end of the degree. Classes are offered on a two-weekend format, and applications are taken continuously throughout the year. To be qualified for admission, student must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; no GRE score is required for admission. 

Upper Iowa University
Terms start every eight weeks with classes at the Harry S. Truman Education Center, online or through our independent study program. Programs at Fort Sill can lead to an associates in arts degree in liberal arts or business, a bachelors of science degree in social science, public administration (general emphasis), law enforcement, fire science or business human resource management. All undergraduate programs are available online and through independent study. For more information, call (580) 595-9338 or visit the website. 

Wayland Baptist University
Wayland Baptist University offers four 11-week terms each year. Degree programs offered at Fort Sill are: masters of arts in counseling, masters in public administration and masters of arts in history. Call (580) 248-1171 for more information. 

Webster University
(580) 353-5766
Webster is a military-friendly institution with more than 30 years of experience educating Soldiers. It offers degree programs that can be completed in the classroom, online or through a combination of both. 

Degree programs offered at Fort Sill include masters of business administration, masters in arts in human resources management, information technology management, and management and leadership. 

The faculties who teach in online classrooms share the same credentials as those who teach in more traditional classrooms. Financial aid is available for those who qualify.


© 2020 - MARCOA Media