1. Information
  2. Health Care

Health Care

Last Updated :

Health Care

Ft Riley Health Care



Irwin Army Community Hospital provides customer-focused service and high-quality standards to support the warriors, families and retirees of Fort Riley and the Central Flint Hills Region. Visit for information on:

• Preventive medicine and self-care.
• Primary care.
• The nurse advice line.
• Active duty sick call.
• Appointments.
• Referrals.

Beneficiaries can book their primary care routine, follow-up and wellness appointments 24/7 online at


The 1st Encounter Clinic is a one-stop solution to ease your healthcare transition to Irwin Army Community Hospital. The 1st Encounter counselors will personally assist you with enrollment, PCM assignment for each of your family members, CDC health assessment forms, specialty referrals transfer, benefits review, hospital navigation and more. Plus, get a biography with photo handout of your new PCM. Call 785-239-DOCS to schedule an appointment. The clinic is open
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. It is on the 1st floor of the hospital across from the pharmacy.

Flint Hills Medical Home

623 Southwind Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Aviation Health Clinic

814 Marshall Airfield Road
Fort Riley, KS 66442

Custer Hill Health Clinic

7672 Estes Road
Fort Riley, KS 66442

Farrelly Health Clinic

8072 Normandy Drive
Fort Riley, KS 66442


Clay County
Clay County Medical Center

617 Liberty St.
Clay Center, KS 67432

Clay County Surgical Center

617 Liberty St.
Clay Center, KS 67432

Clay Center Family Physicians

609 Liberty St.
Clay Center, KS 67432

Clay County Health Department and Home Health Agency

820 Spellman Circle
Clay Center, KS 67432

Dickinson County
Abilene and Dickinson County Memorial Health System

511 NE 10th St.
Abilene, KS 67410

Abilene Family Physicians

1405 N. Cedar St.
Abilene, KS 67410

Herington Municipal Hospital

100 E. Helen St.
Herington, KS 67449

Family Care Clinic

1111 N. Brady St.
Abilene, KS 67410

Geary County
Geary Community Hospital

1102 St. Mary’s Road
P.O. Box 490
Junction City, KS 66441

Konza Prairie Community Health Center

361 Grant Ave.
P.O. Box 1107
Junction City, KS 66441

Morris County
Morris County Hospital

600 N. Washington St.
Council Grove, KS 66846

Pottawatomie County
Community Hospital – Onaga

120 E. Eighth St.
Onaga, KS 66521

Dechairo Hospital

208 N. First St.
Westmoreland, KS 66549

Wamego City Hospital

711 Genn Drive
Wamego, KS 66547

Riley County
Via Christi Hospital – Manhattan

1823 College Ave.
Manhattan, KS 66502

Manhattan Surgical Center

1829 College Ave.
Manhattan, KS 66502

Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center

1600 Charles Place
Manhattan, KS 66502

Junction City 785-238-7900

Homecare & Hospice

323 Poyntz Ave.
Manhattan, KS 66502

Wabaunsee County
Wabaunsee County Health Department

215 Kansas Ave.
Alma, KS 66401


Fort Riley Dental Activity provides routine, urgent and emergency dental care to Soldiers. Active-duty Soldiers are assigned a dental clinic according to their unit of assignment. Family members must contact their civilian dentist.


Phone 785-240-7167


The Warrior Transition Battalion is a temporary unit for wounded, injured and ill warriors who have combat and noncombat injuries that are expected to require at least six months of rehabilitative treatment and have complex case management. The warrior in transition’s mission while assigned to the unit is to focus on healing to result in a successful transition either back to the Army or into civilian life.


Ft Riley Health Care Pets



The Fort Riley Veterinary Treatment Facility is professionally staffed by U.S. Army Veterinary Command personnel and NAF employees. The VTF provides preventive medicine, vaccinations, sick call and health certificates for both interstate and international travel to animals of active-duty and retired DOD service members and their dependents. Reservists called to active duty for 180 days or more may receive services from the VTF. Clients must show a valid military ID card before services are rendered.

The Fort Riley VTF is in Building 226 on Custer Avenue on Main Post. Animals are seen by appointment only for vaccinations, microchips, minor sick calls and health certificates. VTF does not offer surgical (to include spay or neuter) or dental services.

The VTF is open 8 to 11 a.m. and noon to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday for appointments, to register pets and to purchase products. For pet registration, owners should bring in their pet’s medical records. Please call 785-239-3886 or 785-240-0307 to make an appointment. The VTF is dedicated to providing you, your family and any retired personnel with the best veterinary care possible.

The Stray Animal Facility is at Building 226 on Custer Avenue on Main Post and is open to the public for viewing of available animals and adoptions. Hours are noon to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Proof of a paid pet deposit from Picerne housing is required for Fort Riley residents to adopt from the facility. If you have any questions, call 785-239-6183.

For Fort Riley’s banned dog breed policy and pet licensing and registration information, please see the Housing section of this guide.


Shipping Pets

Planning for shipment of your pet includes researching airline requirements and quarantine and restriction laws in your new location. You will need to ask the airlines the requirements for size, weight, number of animals, kennel construction, documentation and season limitations.


Before you move with your pet, make sure the animal can live in government quarters or in the local community. When possible, make advance reservations for pet boarding as soon as you know your arrival date. At present, horses are the only animals that must be quarantined on the installation. A brief list of kennels in the area is included. Perform an internet search to find more available options. When traveling, lodging can be an issue for your pet. When you make reservations for temporary lodging at Fort Riley, ask about the guest housing pet facilities. When staying in a hotel, motel or inn, call in advance to see if pets are welcome. Make reservations in advance by contacting the lodging facility at your destination point for your pet.

The following is a current list of possible kennels available in the community:

Flint Hills Veterinary Hospital

2206 Prospect Circle

Howl-a-Dayz Inn

925 Enoch Lane

Junction City Animal Care Clinic

106 N. Eisenhower Ave.

Little Apple Veterinary Clinic

525 Richards Drive

Manhattan Blue Hills Animal Hospital

2313 Tuttle Creek Blvd.

RC Kennels

310 Kennel Place

Wildcat Pet Resort

2720 Amherst St.

Pet Travel

When traveling with your pet, make plans well in advance. Check with your local veterinarian for up-to-date information and helpful hints. Arrange to hand carry any veterinarian and vaccination records with you. If you are traveling by air with a pet, consult the airline or a military veterinarian. Be aware that the Army does not pay to have your pets transported. Even though they are an important part of your family, they are not listed on your orders and the Army does not “sponsor” their travel. Introduce your pet to vehicles and carriers prior to leaving.

• Take your pet’s food and water, blanket
and toy.
• Cats need a litter box, dogs need frequent stops.
• Avoid leaving your pet loose in the car.
• Check your pet frequently for hunger, thirst or exhaustion.
• Plan frequent stops at safe locations away from busy traffic areas, if possible.
• Never leave your pet alone in the car; it is against the law in some states. In the summer, a few minutes in the shade can exceed 120 degrees. In the winter, cars can become freezers in a few minutes.

Registration of Pets

Registration of pets is required 10 days after your move onto the installation. Your pet(s) can be registered at the vet services office on post. All pets residing on Fort Riley are required to be microchipped and current on rabies vaccinations. These services are at the owner’s expense and an appointment is required for these services. For more information, visit veterinary services on Main Post at 226 Custer Ave. or call 785-239-3886 or 785-240-0307.

Banned Pets

According to Fort Riley Garrison Policy #15, Sept. 27, 2018, Pet Control and Disease Prevention, Soldiers and family members residing in barracks or privatized housing on Fort Riley may not board any dog of a breed (including a mixed breed) that is deemed “aggressive or potentially aggressive” unless the dog is a certified military working dog that is being boarded by its handler or trainer. Aggressive or potentially aggressive breeds of dogs are defined as pit bulls (American Staffordshire bull terriers or English Staffordshire bull terriers), rottweilers, Doberman pinschers, chows and wolf hybrids. Prohibition also extends to other dogs that demonstrate a propensity for dominant or aggressive behavior. Any such breed residing on Fort Riley and registered with the Fort Riley Veterinary Treatment Facility prior to Oct. 1, 2008, is allowed to remain in on-post housing providing all regulations described herein are strictly adhered to. See Fort Riley Garrison Policy memorandum #15, Sept. 27, 2018


© 2020 - MARCOA Media