SCOTT AFB

Shiloh

Last Updated :
MARCOA Media

In 1807, what is now Shiloh had no inhabitants but did have a name — “Three Springs” — from three gushing freshwater springs at the foot of a hill where church camp meetings were held. The first home was built there 38 years later, in 1845, and the name “Shiloh” appeared when the area was laid out and recorded in 1845. Farmers and miners, mostly Germans, moved in and prospered and in 1905 organized into a village. They believed in education: Shiloh had the first one-room schoolhouse in St. Clair County.

Shiloh, population 13,090, has the closest residential neighborhood to Scott AFB, with many homes less than a mile from the main gate. The village is about 16 miles east of St. Louis, and Interstate 64 runs along the northern edge of town. MidAmerica St. Louis Airport is minutes to the east, and it takes less than a half-hour to get to St. Louis Lambert International Airport. Bus and light rail service link residents to St. Louis and the rest of the Metro East region. Belleville lies just to the southwest, and O’Fallon to the north.

The village landmark, Shiloh’s red and white water tower, is 145 feet tall. Situated on one of the highest points in St. Clair County, the tower can be seen for miles.

For recreation and get-togethers, there’s Shiloh Park with its pavilions and 9/11 memorial, Three Springs Park and its walking trail, the senior center and a community hall. The landmark 1830s Engelmann Farm, one of the oldest intact farmsteads in Illinois, has two historic homes, farm fields, woods and a family cemetery. The farm has been turned into a park.

Children attend Shiloh Village School District No. 85.

To learn more, visit the city website at www.shilohil.org or call 618-632-1022. Visit the O’Fallon-Shiloh Chamber of Commerce website at www.ofallonchamber.com or call 618-632-3377.

MILITARY TRUSTED BUSINESSES

© 2019 - MARCOA Media