1. Information
  2. In-processing


Last Updated :

When You Arrive

When You Arrive
Upon arrival at Eielson, you will need to proceed to the Military Personnel Section (MPS) during duty hours to sign in. The MPS will collect your records and schedule you to attend the next available Right-Start/First Term Airmen’s Center briefing. If you arrive after 4:30 p.m., contact your sponsor and proceed to the Gold Rush Inn in Building 540, on the corner of Central Avenue and North Street (24-hour arrival point), to sign in. On the first duty day after you arrive at Eielson, the MPS will collect your records and schedule you to attend the next available Right-Start/First-Term Airmen’s Center briefing. Most rooms are located in proximity to the dining facility, Yukon Club, shoppette, Base Exchange and commissary.

Reservations in advance are highly encouraged. For reservations or more information, call 907-377-1844/7885 or DSN 317-377-1844/7885.

If you are single and enlisted, your sponsor may have already made arrangements for a dormitory room. Check with him or her before going to lodging. Next, contact your Unit Program Coordinator (UPC) or Base Level Service Delivery Model (BLSDM) representative to in-process your unit. The UPC or BLSDM representative will inform you on specific unit in-processing tasks.

Right Start

Right Start is a mandatory, partial-day program that gives important information about life in Alaska, including winterization, security and fire safety tips, as well as information about the many services available to you during your tour here. The chapel, Airman & Family Readiness Center, legal and other base helping agencies will be on hand to answer your questions and give you more information.

First Term Airmen’s Center (FTAC)

Eielson’s FTAC helps Airmen make the transition from the controlled environment of basic military training and technical school to their first duty station. The center provides a streamlined process for base and unit in-processing while helping Airmen understand how they fit into the mission at Eielson. The program consists of five duty days of in-processing, professional briefings, ancillary training and mission orientation. In-processing includes briefings on drug abuse/ prevention training, human relations issues, financial management, career enhancement, family support services and senior leadership perspective. Professional briefings include reinforcement of core values and other fundamental aspects of Air Force life. Mission orientation briefings are designed to help first-duty-station Airmen understand what their roles and responsibilities are in support of global operations. For additional information on FTAC, please call 907-377-3061.


The 354th Comptroller Squadron Financial Services Office is dedicated to providing top-notch customer service and is your focal point for all financial matters while assigned to Eielson. The finance office is on the first floor in the east wing of Amber Hall, Building 3112. For routine military or travel pay questions, call 907-377-CPTS (2787) or send an email to 354cpts.customerservice@us.af.mil.

Military Pay

In addition to your normal military pay and allowances, all military members assigned to Eielson receive a Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) to help defray the higher-than-average expense of goods and services in Alaska. COLA rates are based on location, rank, years of service and number of dependents. If you’re authorized to live off base, you will receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at Eielson’s rate. BAH rates are based on duty station ZIP code, marital status and pay grade. To learn more about COLA and BAH or to find your rate, visit www.defensetravel.dod.mil.

Advance Military Pay

You may request advance military pay within 90 days before a permanent change of station (PCS) departure or up to 180 days after PCS arrival. The maximum you may request is three months’ advance basic pay minus deductions. Members in the grades of E-5 and above may receive one month of basic pay repayable within 12 months without a commander’s signature. Any requests exceeding one month of basic pay or a 12-month repayment period will require your commander’s approval and an itemization of expenses regardless of your rank.

Advance Dislocation Allowance

Members accompanied by their dependents are authorized a Dislocation Allowance (DLA) to help offset moving expenses. Single members not assigned government quarters within 60 days upon arrival are also eligible for DLA. DLA rates are published at www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/dla.html.

PCS Travel Pay

The financial services office (FSO) should provide a PCS In-Processing System (PIPS) brochure to you upon arrival at Eielson. This brochure will provide instructions for filing your PCS-in travel voucher along with adjusting your military pay entitlements as necessary. Your PCS voucher can be completed at your desk or in the finance customer service lobby between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. The FSO also offers one-on-one appointments for first-term Airmen and other customers who desire assistance with their voucher. Your authorized travel entitlements will be based on your mode(s) of travel to Alaska. Save all of your receipts and keep a welldocumented log of your trip to simplify the PCS voucher filing process. If you’re taking the ferry, authorization must be annotated in your orders. Additionally, you may receive reimbursement for lodging and per diem for one night at your port of departure and arrival, so make sure you save your lodging receipts for those nights.

Other PCS Entitlements

If you stay in temporary lodging when you arrive at Eielson, you may be authorized to claim up to 30 days of Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA). Should your quest for housing take longer than 30 days, your commander can approve as many as 30 additional days. All TLA claims must be filed through the housing office every 15 days. In addition to TLA, military members PCSing from a stateside base who stayed in billeting are eligible for up to five days of Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) reimbursement. Both TLA and TLE require lodging receipts, non-availability statements (if lodged off base) and copies of PCS orders. Members who stay with friends/family are not allowed to claim lodging expenses for either of these entitlements.

Advance BAH

Members authorized to live off base may file for Advance Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). You may receive an advance of up to three times your BAH rate with a maximum 24-month repayment period. Advance BAH requests must be approved by your squadron commander and submitted along with a copy of your rental agreement.

Pay Issues While Traveling

Two avenues are available for you to obtain pay information while you are on the road. The following services are available online through myPay at https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx.
• View your last three pay statements
• Start, stop or change allotments
• Change your direct deposit account
• Start, stop or change Thrift Savings Plan contributions
• Change your state and federal income tax withholding
• Change your correspondence address

Your local finance office should be able to help you obtain a login ID and password. You can also contact the Centralized Customer Support Unit toll-free at 888-DFA-S411, ext. 5, from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

Temporary Housing

Reservations for temporary accommodations on the base can be made in advance by calling the lodging facility front desk at 907-377-7885. The Housing Management Office, located in Amber Hall, Building 3112, can help you settle into the community. Military members are required to report to the Housing Management Office before entering any rental, lease or purchase agreement for off-base housing. Off-base accommodations may be expensive and most are located more than 10 miles from Eielson. Stop by Housing Management for off-base information and a TLA briefing. If you have an extended wait for on-base housing, you must actively seek off-base housing and report to housing management at least every 15 days.

Permissive TDY

Service members are allowed eight days’ permissive TDY to travel to Eielson, arrange for housing and return to their duty station. The permissive TDY is at the service member’s expense. Check with your MPS for details. You may want to investigate the possibility of a military flight or “hop” to Eielson. Check with the local passenger terminal, as a hop for even a portion of your trip could save you money. Remember to stop by the housing management office — they must validate your permissive TDY orders. Also, be sure to check with housing prior to entering into any rental, lease or purchase agreement.

Rules of the Road

You are required to have automobile insurance meeting Alaska’s mandatory insurance law and minimums: $50,000 for personal liability for one person, $100,000 for each accident and $25,000 for property damage. Family members must acquire an Alaska driver’s license within 30 days if employed or 90 days if unemployed. Contact the State of Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles for more information and changes to policy at 907-269-5551 or visit www.doa.alaska.gov/dmv.


© 2019 - MARCOA Media