Newcomer's Information

Last Updated :


Preplanning is essential for newcomers moving to Naval Submarine Base New London, whether for a permanent change of station, or student assignment. An excellent source of information for military moves is the Department of Defense Military Home Front website atwww.militaryhomefront.dod.mil. This is a Department of Defense website for official Military Community and Family Policy (MC&FP) program information, policy and guidance designed to help troops and their families, leaders and service providers. From the Military Home Front website service members can select the "Plan My Move" or the "Military Installations" links. Both will provide valuable information on preparing your move, as well as vital information on your next military installation.

Military families are also encouraged to contact the Housing Welcome Center as soon as orders are received at (860) 694-3851, DSN (312) 694-3851 or toll free at (877) 843-5236. Its staff will help you locate suitable and affordable housing in the local area.

Temporary quarters can be arranged by contacting either the Navy Lodge or the Navy Gateway Inn & Suites (NGIS), both of which arrange permanent on-base quarters for single military personnel. Reservations can be made at the Navy Lodge by calling (800) NAVY-INN or (860) 446-3119. On-base visiting quarters can be reserved by calling the NGIS at (860) 694-3117 or DSN 694-3416.

Newcomers are also encouraged to contact their local Personal Property Office as soon as possible after receiving orders to arrange shipment of household goods. Once shipment dates are known, you should contact the Personal Property Office at Naval Submarine Base New London by calling (860) 694-4650 to arrange storage or delivery of household goods.

All new personnel should hear from a gaining-command sponsor shortly after receiving orders. If you do not, contact your gaining unit and ask for your sponsor’s name and phone number. Your gaining command should also provide you a mailing address where letters can be forwarded until a permanent address can be established. If not already received, you can also call the Fleet and Family Support Center at (860) 694-3383 or DSN 694-3383 to request a Welcome Aboard Packet.


Naval Submarine Base New London is located on the east side of the Thames River in Groton, Conn. The main gate is located approximately two miles from Exit 86 off Interstate 95.

By Car — Travel either north or south on Interstate 95 to Exit 86. Turn north at the end of the ramp onto Route 12 and travel approximately two miles to the fifth stop light. Turn left at Crystal Lake Road and follow it approximately one-half mile to the end of the road. The main gate is on your right. Traffic signs, beginning on Interstate 95, provide clear directions to the submarine base.

By Plane — The base is within an hour’s drive from two major airports: Bradley International Airport in Hartford, Conn., and T.F. Green Airport in Providence, R.I. A much smaller air field — Groton/New London Airport — is located approximately seven miles from the base.

If driving from T.F. Green Airport in Providence, follow airport signs to Interstate 95. Follow Interstate 95 south to Exit 86 in Connecticut. If driving from Bradley International Airport in Hartford, take Interstate 91 south to Route 9 south, to Interstate 95 north. Take Interstate 95 north across the Gold Star Bridge to Exit 86 (a left-lane exit). Follow road signs approximately two miles from Exit 86 to arrive at the Naval Submarine Base.

By Rail

— An Amtrak train station is located in downtown New London which is regularly served by local cab companies.

By Bus — Greyhound Bus Lines is located next to the Amtrak train station in New London.

Auto Registration and Vehicle Information

Building 500 Phone: (860) 694-4030

All vehicles entering SUBASE must have a temporary base pass or a valid DoD decal. Temporary base passes are issued at Building 500, just outside the main gate, during duty hours and by the gate guard after duty hours.

The Pass Office hours of operation are Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Pass Office is open the first Saturday of every month, 6 to 10 a.m. The schedule for that week is Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Friday, 6 to 10 a.m.

Parking is very limited on SUBASE. Therefore, it is important to register your vehicle and obtain a Submarine Base NewLondon DoD decal within 30 days after your arrival. You can register your vehicle with the Pass and ID office at Building 500.

To register your vehicle on base, you must provide the following documentation:

1.Proof of Ownership — Your vehicle must be registered in your name or your spouse’s name, or you must have notarized written permission from the owner to operate/register the vehicle (Bill of Sale is unacceptable).

2.Insurance — You must ensure that your liability coverage fulfills Connecticut’s financial responsibility laws. Check with your insurance company to be sure. You’ll also need your current proof of insurance card which should be maintained in your vehicle at all times in Connecticut.

3.ID Card — You must have a valid military identification or civilian ID card.

4.Inspection — If your vehicle is 10 years old or older, it must pass a safety inspection that meets Connecticut’s requirements. You must properly complete the vehicle forms available at the Pass Office. Call (860) 694-3224 for information or assistance.

Motorcycles — There are a number of special requirements that must be accomplished before riding a motorcycle on SUBASE, including completion of the DoD Motorcycle Safety Course. Check with the SUBASE Safety Division at (860) 694-3739 before bringing a motorcycle on the base.

Vehicle Regulations — The speed limit on most base roads is 20 mph unless otherwise posted. Speed limits in parking lots are 5 mph. As a base driver, you are required to stop for pedestrians. As a base pedestrian, you are required to use crosswalks.

Both Navy regulation and Connecticut law requires that everyone wear a seat belt while in a moving vehicle. Children under age 6 or less than 60 pounds need to be in approved child restraints.

Parking — Because there is a critical shortage of parking on base, parking regulations are strictly enforced. All newcomers should read the parking rules and regulation instruction — SUBASENLON INST 5560.11B (series) — for the most up-to-date requirements.

If it becomes necessary to tow your vehicle, it will be done at your expense and risk. Damages or charges incurred in the towing will rest solely with the owner.

Traffic Court is held on Wednesday, 9 a.m. to noon, in Building 462. If you receive a ticket with a court date, you must attend. If you do not attend, you receive an automatic 60-day suspension of driving privileges on SUBASE in addition to whatever penalties you may receive.

Installation Access Procedures

— Installation access is granted to those individuals possessing CAC, IDs or badges such as:

- Active-duty military

- Reserve or retired military

- Military dependents

- DoD civilians

- General Dynamics/Electric Boat employees who work on base

Visitor Access — Visitors must have a military or DoD civilian sponsor who is affiliated with the SUBASE. Contractors and contract employees are not afforded sponsor privileges. To sponsor an individual on base you must either physically escort your visitor at all times or submit in writing a visitor request to the Pass and ID Office, Building 500. A visitor request is a written letter explaining: reason for visit, full name of visitor, visitor’s place of birth, date of birth, full Social Security number and duration of visit. Requests must be submitted five working days prior to the actual visit. All requests will be reviewed and must be approved in order to gain access onto the installation.

Contractor Access Requirements

Short-term (One-day) Access — A military or DoD civilian sponsor who is affiliated with the SUBASE must submit a written request to the Pass and ID Office. Contractor requests must include point of contact to include date of visit, location and justification for access. Contractor information that must be accompanied with request:

1. Full name

2. Date of birth

3. Place of birth (city, state)

4. Social Security number (last four)

5. Company

Provide this information three working days in advance to the contractor’s/subcontractor’s arrival. Last-minute or day-prior arrivals will not be allowed on the SUBASE due to short notice and requirements for background checks.

Long-term access — The contractor is required to obtain from the Pass and ID Office (Building 500) three forms: a SUBASE Civilian Access Form, Application for Contractors Badge Form (must be signed by sponsor) and an Verification I-9 Form. All forms must be filled out and returned to the Pass Office. The contractor will be required to provide two forms of ID (i.e., driver’s license, passport). A temporary PIP/vehicle pass will be issued by the Pass Office clerk to the contractor. The contractor will be granted temporary access while paperwork is reviewed and background history checks are being processed. The contractor will be contacted by their sponsor of access their status.

NCACS — In May 2011, SUBASE implemented a new access system for vendors and contractors. The Navy’s Commercial Access Control System (NCACS) is a high-tech identification card scanning system for base access. All vendors/contractors are highly encouraged to register for the NCACS credential to expedite their passage through the gates for access to the base. For questions on how to register, call (877) 727-4342.

Commercial Deliveries and Contractor Vehicles — At the commercial gate the driver must have in their possession specific written authorization (i.e., work order, bill of lading) or a base badge/pass to show the gate sentry. All drivers are subject to submit to a vehicle inspection. The hours of operation for Commercial Gate 7 are 5:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. After-hour deliveries will be directed to use the Main Gate entrance.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I bring a rental car on the base?

A vehicle may enter with a rental agreement, along with a Common Acess Card (CAC), no pass necessary.

What type of identification card must be shown to the gate sentry in order to access the SUBASE?

Active duty


Retired military

Military dependent

DoD/Navy access card

SUBASE id card

EB/GD badge

What paperwork should one produce to obtain a vehicle decal or pass?

Valid vehicle registration

Valid insurance card

Valid driver’s license

I’m active duty and my mom and dad are visiting the SUBASE. What do I need to bring them on board?

Military ID or CAC card. You have the privilege to escort your parents on this installation.

Security Issues

Drugs — It should go without saying that the introduction, possession, use, sale or other transfer of marijuana, narcotic substances or other controlled substances aboard SUBASE is strictly prohibited.

Firearms/Dangerous Weapons — Any kind of firearms, explosive devices, metallic or chain knuckles, blackjacks, billy clubs, folding knives with blades more than 3.5 inches in length, all quick-opening knives of switch or spring type regardless of blade length, or any handmade devices which might be used for assault are considered to be dangerous weapons.

You may not conceal or carry upon your person any dangerous weapon, instrument or device, or any highly explosive article or compound on board any Navy station, ship, craft or aircraft, or any other place under the jurisdiction of the Navy.

Personal weapons can be stored with the Security Department Armory in Building 462 on a space-available basis. Storage of firearms and weapons is prohibited in on-base quarters and barracks. For additional information on firearms and weapons, contact the Security Department at (860) 694-4012.

Fireworks — Each year, thousands of people throughout the United States are injured by the improper use of fireworks. The Submarine Base Fire Department reminds you that all types of fireworks are illegal on SUBASE. This includes sparklers, M-80s, cherry bombs, pop rockets, party snappers and others that may be legal in the state you’re coming from. For everyone interested in fireworks, the base sponsors one of the most extravagant displays in southeastern Connecticut during SubFest.


— You’ll soon find out that SUBASE has one of the best Security Departments in the state. This department is often thought of as two separate departments: the SUBASE Fire Department and SUBASE Security (police) Department.

These two departments have a very close working relationship with local police and fire departments. By mutual agreement, the SUBASE Fire Department provides assistance to nearby towns. Besides responding to on-base emergencies, it also answers emergency calls in the Private Public Venture Housing, including the Navy Lodge.

The SUBASE Security Department is ready to assist you with any trouble you may have on base. The Town of Groton Police Department is responsible for law enforcement off base and in the Private Public Venture Housing, while the SUBASE Police Department is available to help you and provide assistance to the Groton Police Department.

If you have any questions or need assistance of any kind, feel free to ask any SUBASE Police Department patrolman. For off-base police, fire or medical emergencies call 911. For on-base police, fire or medical emergencies dial 911 or call (860) 694-3333.

Checking In

Each command has its own procedures for checking in. Your sponsor should let you know where to go to officially check into your command.

Submarine School students and staff report in at the quarterdeck in Building 499. SUBASE personnel check in to the Personnel Support Detachment in Building 83. Normal customer service hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. If you arrive at the base after these hours, contact the Command Duty Officer at (860) 625-9644 to have your orders endorsed and then report to the Personnel Support Detachment at 8:30 a.m. the next working day.

Sailors reporting to sea duty units should report to the appropriate squadron duty office, as do personnel assigned to the squadron staffs. Submarine Group 2 personnel report to Building 439 (Grenfell Hall). Medical personnel check in at the medical clinic.

Personnel Support Activity

Detachment (PSD)

Building 83 (Second Floor)

Phone: (860) 694-3135

Personnel Support Activity Detachment is located on the second floor of Building 83 in Dealey Plaza across from the movie theater. The PSD is open for customer service Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Single personnel who require accommodations after working hours should check in with Gateway Inn & Suites, Building 429, O’Kane Hall. After checking in at their new duty station and upon receipt of an appointment, newcomers should report to PSD with endorsed orders, official records and travel receipts, along with any new information such as local address and phone number, if known. PSD will then assist you with updating your personnel records, filing your travel claim and arranging any special payments.

PSD, in conjunction with the Customer Service Desk, Saratoga Springs, N.Y., is dedicated to providing quality service to more than 11,500 active-duty personnel and their families throughout Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Maine and Vermont. It also provides various services to thousands of Reserve, retired personnel and survivor annuitants in the northeast region.

Services provided by PSD include pay, travel, transportation, re-enlistments and retirements.

The ID/DEERS Office is operated by Serco, Inc. a contractor. It is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; and the first Saturday of the month, 9 to 11:30 a.m. If the first Saturday falls before a Monday federal holiday or other major holiday, the ID Office is open on the second Saturday of that month.

Before Departure

Arrange for shipment/storage of household goods through
Personal Property Office.

Obtain name/phone number of sponsor from gaining command.

Provide change-of-address to U.S. Postal Service.

Provide landlord at least 30 days advance notice of move.

Arrange to have utilities/services disconnected:

• Water

• Gas

• Electricity

• Cable

• Phone

Arrange temporary lodging at destination.

Contact Bachelor Housing or Family Housing, as appropriate, at destination to begin search for permanent housing at destination.

Contact potential school districts.

Place children on Central Enrollment Waiting List for on-base child care,
as appropriate.

Browse helpful "relocation" websites.

Hand carry important paperwork.

• Military (Reporting Orders, Endorsements,

Official Records, etc.)

• Civilian (Medical Records, Children’s

Immunizations, Passports, Birth Certificates, etc.)

Document travel expenses.

After Arrival

Sign in with gaining command.

Report to Personnel Support Activity Detachment on first duty day to in-process, establish Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at new duty station and complete travel voucher.

Report to Bachelor Housing Office or Family Housing Welcome Center, as appropriate, to apply for or obtain information on
permanent housing.

Contact Personal Property Office to arrange delivery/storage of household goods.

Visit Fleet and Family Support Center for "Welcome Aboard" packet and information.

Register vehicle(s) within 30 days of arrival on base.

Contact local Department of Vehicles for license and registration, as appropriate.

Provide U.S. Postal Service with new address.

Enroll children in school.

Enroll children in on-base child care programs.

Arrange utility and service connections, as appropriate. (Bring receipts from previous utility companies to reduce deposit costs.)

• Water

• Gas

• Electricity

• Cable

• Phone

Establish local banking services, if desired.

Make appropriate changes to home/auto insurance.

*Since every move is unique, this list should not be considered