Last Updated :
Currently, JBER has 3,262 privatized housing units. Active-duty military members arriving at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson on an accompanied tour with command- sponsored dependents are eligible for privatized family housing.

Military members interested in living on base should fill out an advance application, DD Form 1746, from their losing base. The effective date of an advance application (when placed on a waiting list) is the date that the member departs their losing installation. The member may also apply as a walk-in applicant, which means they receive the date they apply as their application date. The exception to this rule is that senior officers’ and chief master sergeants’ date of application is their date of rank. The wait averages anywhere from receiving a house immediately for enlisted housing to six months or more for officer quarters. Traditionally, the average wait is approximately six months for all categories, with the exception of senior officers.

Aurora Military Family Housing, 6350 Arctic Warrior Drive, is the privatized property owner that maintains the housing waiting lists. Call 907-753-1023 or visit their website,

The Capital Asset Management Office, located in two store fronts at 6346 Arctic Warrior Drive, or Building 600, Room 104, will determine eligibility and turn the application over to the privatization developer for inclusion on the waiting list. For more information, call 907-552-4439 or 907-384-3907.

Tourism is one of the top three Alaska industries, leading to a very seasonal (i.e., high summer) demand for lodging and housing. This means lodging books up early for the summer months and you are unlikely to find any suitable temporary accommodations in Anchorage if you do not plan ahead and reserve early.

Use your unit sponsor for travel planning advice and assistance.

Kennels fill up, and most landlords do not accept pets. Use the links on Army Housing On-Line Service to plan and confirm your accommodations (as well as those of family pets).

Family housing, senior enlisted and officer bachelor quarters units are each equipped with a dishwasher, garbage disposal, washing machine, clothes dryer, electric range and refrigerator. All personnel authorized quarters are allowed shipment of their full household goods weight allowance. The doors, stairwells and hallways of family housing may not accommodate oversized furniture or large freezers, so plan your move accordingly.