NSB New London
Updated On: 1/22/2013 8:35:59 AM
We take pride in providing outstanding service for all newcomers to the installation. Whatever your status - military, civil service, contractor, family member, full-time employee or student - we are committed to providing you the highest quality programs, facilities and services available.
We hope you use this guide as an overview of base services available to all newcomers and families at SUBASE. This booklet is designed to augment information provided to you by your command sponsor and the Welcome Aboard Center, located in the Fleet and Family Support Center.
Regardless of the distance involved with moving, the number of previous moves or the fact that you may have visited SUBASE New London before, we all experience some amount of trepidation in finding a new place to live, moving household goods, obtaining information on local schools, learning about the community "outside" the fence and selecting where to go for off-duty recreational activities.
Becoming familiar with a new area or base represents one of the biggest challenges involved in moving. We hope that the information provided in this guide will assist in making your move easier.
We are extremely excited about the transformation and improvements the base has been able to enjoy in the last few years.
From new piers and a Port Operations Center on our waterfront, to the construction of a new commissary that began in November 2012, more than $100 million has been recently invested in the base infrastructure.
Off base, the privatization of our former Navy housing has reaped great benefits for our military families.
Balfour Beatty Communities, the private developer that oversees our public private housing venture (PPV), is now managing and maintaining approximately 1,895 new and renovated homes for government families in eight PPV communities. Rent and utility costs, including basic cable, are covered by Basic Allowance for Housing.
Since 2004, some $300 million has been invested to construct 559 new homes and renovate another 343 homes for military families. Additionally, the developer is managing and maintaining 525 previously renovated homes. Many of the remaining houses — constructed in the 1960s — have been demolished or fully renovated.
Beyond many home amenities, Balfour Beatty Communities has also provided our military families with three new community centers, two swimming pools, a water spray park, three basketball courts, 12 playgrounds and 28 bus shelters.
We also take great pride in providing off-duty activities for all members of the SUBASE community. Sometimes this proves a challenge. Just within our military population, we realize the diversity: 65 percent are single, 35 percent are married, 30 to 40 percent live on base in barracks, 35 to 40 percent live in the local community and 25 to 30 percent live in Family Housing. But we believe we provide a wide range of activities that offers something for everyone.
The Morale, Welfare and Recreation office provides many recreational and athletic activities, for the young and not so young. Golf, bowling, outdoor sports, physical fitness ... the list goes on and on. Other agencies provide assistance for child care, parenting, basic skills for living, budgeting and stress management, educational opportunities, employment assistance, spiritual guidance, legal assistance, new parent support and a variety of other programs to meet your every need.
As the first submarine base, the significant history and honored traditions of our great Navy and submarine force are reflected in the names of our buildings and streets. Our heritage is also on public display at the Historic Ship Nautilus and Submarine Force Museum, located adjacent to the base. I urge you to visit both.
But what makes SUBASE New London "the finest" is the exceptionally talented and dedicated people who support fleet readiness by providing quality services and facilities to the submarine community and their families.
For this reason alone, we think you’ll find that SUBASE is a great place to live and work!
Navy’s First Submarine Base
Naval Submarine Base New London had its beginning as a Naval Yard and Storage Depot on April 11, 1868.
Envisioning the economic potential of a local military installation, the state of Connecticut and its southeastern cities and towns donated land along the Thames River to the Navy for the establishment of a base. The citizens of New London were especially generous, as their City Council appropriated $10,000 to purchase the land that would be donated.
The first Commander of the Yard was retired Commodore Timothy A. Hunt, who was called back to service. Living in New Haven, Commodore Hunt used the Central Hotel on State Street, New London, when in town to attend to Yard duties on an "as needed" basis. Despite being physically located in the Town of Groton, the name New London became associated with the Navy Yard.
The Navy Yard was first used for laying up inactive ships. The congressional appropriations were small and the Navy had little need for the Yard, which was actually closed from 1898 to 1900, the personnel reassigned.
In 1898, Congress approved building a coaling station at the Yard for refueling small naval ships traveling through the waters of New England. By 1912, oil replaced coal in warships and again the Yard was scheduled for closure and the land relinquished by the Navy.
The Navy Yard was spared permanent closure in 1912 by an impassioned plea from local Congressman Edwin W. Higgins of Norwich, who was worried about the loss of federal spending in the region. Strangely, Higgins thought it was cheaper for the Navy to keep the Yard open than pay for its closure. Within six years, the federal government would spend more than a million dollars at the Yard.
Oct. 18, 1915, marked the arrival of the submarines G-1, G-2 and G-4 under the care of the tender USS Ozark. Submarines E-1, D-1 and D-3 with the tender USS Tonopah bolstered this small force. The first ship built as a submarine tender, the USS Fulton (AS-1), arrived on Nov. 1, 1915.
On June 21, 1916, the Navy Yard changed forever as Cmdr. Yeates Stirling assumed the command of the newly designated Submarine Base, the New London Submarine Flotilla and the Submarine School.
Naval Submarine Base New London, our Navy’s first submarine base, still proudly proclaims its motto: "The First and Finest."
The Base property expanded during the latter part of World War I. Congress approved more than a million dollars for Base real estate and facilities expansion. By the end of the war, 81 buildings had been built to support 1,400 men and 20 submarines. With victory in hand, the land expansion of the Base was slowed through much of the 1920s. However, the Great Depression of the 1930s saw an expansion and enhancement of the physical plant of the Base.
President Franklin Roosevelt created a series of federal government employment programs that contributed significantly to the Submarine Base. More than 26 high-quality warehouses, barracks and workshops were built at the Base under these federal job-spending programs.
The Submarine Escape Training Tank, long known as the "Dive Tower," was constructed during this period and became a prominent feature to the local landscape from 1930 to 1992. Generations of submariners practiced escaping from sunken submarines through the Dive Tower by ascending in a 100-foot column of water.
The second-largest expansion of Submarine Base New London occurred during World War II when it grew from 112 acres to 497 acres. The Submarine Force leaped in size, so the Base accommodated thousands of men to service the growing combat fleet.
Immediately after World War II the Submarine Force was significantly reduced and many famous submarines were sent into storage. Most of the World War II fleet was sold for scrap metal during the early 1960s. The remainder were modified for better underwater capabilities and served until the early 1970s.
The arrival of nuclear power with the USS Nautilus (SSN-571), the world’s first nuclear-powered vessel, and the USS George Washington (SSBN-598), the Navy’s first nuclear ballistic submarine, created changes at the Base.
Commissioned in 1954, and homeported at the Base, Nautilus became the first vessel to transit the North Pole during an historic trip across the Arctic in 1958. Retired from service in 1980, Nautilus became a historic exhibit at the Submarine Force Museum, adjacent to the Base, in 1985.
Technological changes contributed to a cycle of renewal and reconstruction of the various physical facilities that supported both submarine operations as well as the Submarine School. The Fleet Ballistic Missile program further expanded the Base.
The Base was the headquarters for Squadron 14 for many years, which represented the "two crew per boat" philosophy of the Fleet Ballistic Missile Program. Two crews would rotate on one submarine. In the early days, the limited range of missiles required long-term forward positioning of the ballistic missile submarine and a supporting dry dock and tender. The Squadron 14 forward site was Holy Loch, Scotland.
By the 1990s, advances in missile capability eliminated the need for these forward bases and Submarine Base New London became home to only "attack" submarines.
Today, Naval Submarine Base New London stretches along the east side of the Thames River, straddling the communities of Groton and Ledyard. While Groton is often referred to as the "Submarine Capital of the World," the Base proudly bears the title — "Home of the Submarine Force." Almost every submariner in today’s Navy will be stationed here for training. A tour of duty in one of the fast-attack submarines homeported here, or with a pre-commissioning crew for a new submarine under construction at General Dynamics Electric Boat Shipyard in Groton, may follow.
Occupying more than 680 acres, with more than 160 major facilities and 15 nuclear submarines, Naval Submarine Base New London supports fleet readiness by providing quality service and facilities to our fleet, fighters and families. The Base mission is twofold: to homeport and put submarines to sea; and to support the submarine Center of Excellence that trains Sailors to take Submarines to sea.
Naval Submarine Base New London is also home to more than 70 tenant commands and activities including Commander Submarine Group Two; the Submarine Learning Center; Naval Submarine School; the Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory; and the Naval Undersea Medical Institute.
However, at the true heart of the Base and these commands are the 6,500 active-duty Sailors, 2,000 civilian employees and contractors, and their families who through daily sacrifice and service contribute so much to Navy Team New London, the Navy and this nation. read more...