Updated On: 12/18/2012 11:47:44 AM
U.S. ARMY SIGNAL CENTER OF EXCELLENCE read more...
The U.S. Army Signal Center of Excellence and Fort Gordon, the "Home of the Signal Regiment," trains more military personnel than any other branch training center of the U.S. Army. The multifaceted mission of the U.S. Army Signal Center of Excellence and Fort Gordon encompasses training, doctrine, force integration and mobilization. The Signal Center conducts specialized instruction for all Signal Regiment military and Department of the Army civilian personnel in the Army and provides doctrine and training development support of publications. Three U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command capability managers coordinate acquisition and fielding of major systems. Force integration is accomplished through the life cycle management of all major communications-electronics systems under study or in development for future use in the field Army. The mobilization mission is to maintain assigned U.S. Army Forces Command units in a state of readiness commensurate with their authorized level of organization. Fort Gordon provides year-round training for more than 54,000 reservists as well as Army and Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps students. Technological advances have drastically changed the Signal Corps since its founder, Albert J. Myer, introduced "Wigwag," or visual signaling, shortly before the outbreak of the Civil War. Throughout the years, the Signal Corps Regiment has been on the cutting edge of advancements in communication technology. Adapting the telephone to military usage, facilitating the standardization of the vacuum tube, developing radar and FM radio during World War II and incorporating satellite communications and computer technology are just some of the Signal Regiment's many accomplishments.
"Watchful for the Country"
The gold eagle holds in his talons a golden baton from which descends a signal flag. The design originated in 1865 from a meeting of Signal Corps officers, led by Major Albert Myer, the Chief Signal Officer, in Washington, D.C. The badge was a symbol of faithful service and good fellowship for those who served together in war and was called the "Order of the Signal Corps." The motto, "Pro Patria Vigilans," (Watchful for the Country) was adopted from the Signal School insignia and serves to portray the cohesiveness of Signal Soldiers and their affiliation with their regimental home. The gold laurel wreath depicts the myriad achievements through strength made by the Corps since its inception. The Battle Star centered on the wreath represents formal recognition for participation in combat. It adorned a signal flag and was first awarded to Signal Corps Soldiers in 1862. The Battle Star typifies the close operational relationship between the combined arms and the Signal Corps.
Home of the Signal Regiment
Beginning with the Southeastern Signal School's graduation of the first class of 10 Signal students from its power equipment maintenance course in fall 1948, the Army continued to consolidate its communications training at Fort Gordon, including the transfer of all communications courses from Fort Monmouth, N.J. in 1974. By developing, fielding and training Soldiers to install, operate and maintain, for example, Mobile Subscriber Equipment, the Joint Tactical Information Distribution System, the Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System as well as tactical satellite communications, the U.S. Army Signal Center of Excellence provides highly refined information technology systems for the U.S. Army.