Holloman AFB and its History
Updated On: 12/19/2012 9:57:21 AM
On June 10, 1942, an event occurred that permanently changed the face of the Tularosa Basin—Alamogordo Army Air Field was established at a site just west of Alamogordo, N.M. Initial plans called for the base to serve as the center for the British Overseas Training Program; the British hoped to train their aircrews over the open New Mexico skies. However, everything changed when the Japanese launched a surprise attack against the Hawaiian Islands on Dec. 7, 1941. The British abandoned their overseas training program and U.S. military leadership viewed the location as a prime opportunity to train its own growing military. Construction began at the airfield when Christopher Gallegos cut the first strand of barbed wire at a point about one-half mile west of the current location of Holloman’s main gate, Feb. 6, 1942. read more...
From 1942-1945, Alamogordo Army Air Field served as the training grounds for over 20 different groups, primarily flying B-17s, B-24s and B-29s. Typically, these groups served at the airfield for six months, training their personnel before heading to combat in the Pacific or European Theater.
The 450th Bombardment Group was one of the many to cut its teeth at Alamogordo. After training, the group went on to serve in nearly every major combat operation in Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Hungary and the Balkans. During their combat service, the 450th garnered two distinguished unit citations and 11 campaign credits.
After World War II, the future of the base seemed uncertain. In fact, rumors abounded concerning the closure of the site, fueled by the fact that flying operations ceased. However, in 1947 a new era began when Air Materiel Command announced the airfield would be its primary site for the testing and development of pilotless aircraft, guided missiles and other research programs. On July 23, 1947, the first missile firing took place at Alamogordo Army Airfield, with the launch of a ground-to-air pilotless aircraft.
For the next 25 years the site, which became known as the Holloman Air Development Center and later the Air Force Missile Development Center, launched many missiles including Tiny Tim, the first Army rocket, Rascal, Aerobee, Falcon, Mace, Matador and Shrike.
On Jan. 13, 1948, the Alamogordo installation was renamed Holloman Air Force Base in posthumous honor of Col. George V. Holloman, a pioneer in guided missile research.
Holloman wrote its name into the annals of American history in the 1950s and 1960s. On Dec. 10, 1954, Lt. Col. (Dr.) John P. Stapp received the nickname “The Fastest Man on Earth” when he rode a rocket-propelled test sled, Sonic Wind No. 1, to a speed of 632 miles per hour. Additionally, Capt. Joseph Kittinger Jr. stepped out of an open balloon gondola at 102,800 feet on Aug. 16, 1960, in an attempt to evaluate techniques of high altitude bailout. Capt. Kittinger’s jump lasted 13 minutes, reaching a velocity of 614 miles per hour. That jump broke four world records: highest open gondola manned balloon flight, highest balloon flight of any kind, highest bailout and longest free fall. A final noteworthy event occurred on Nov. 29, 1961, when Enos, a chimpanzee trained at the Holloman Aero-Medical Laboratory, was the first American launched into orbit.
A new era began in the Tularosa Basin on July 1, 1968, when the 49th Tactical Fighter Wing arrived at Holloman. The 49th continued to write history by earning the MacKay Trophy for redeployment from Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany. The Wing was able to flawlessly launch 72 F-4D aircraft without a single abort and complete 504 successful air-to-air refuelings during the 5,000 mile trip from Spangdahlem to Holloman. From May 11 through Sept. 24, 1972, the 49th deployed to Takhli Royal Thai Air Base.
The 49th F-4 Phantom IIs introduced an era of fighter aircraft training and operations, which has continued for over three decades. In 1977 the 49th transitioned to the F-15 Eagle, the Air Force’s top air-to-air weapon. In 1992, Holloman again garnered national attention when the Air Force’s most technologically advanced fighter, the F-117A Nighthawk, made its new home at Holloman. Today Holloman serves at the forefront of military operations with its F-117A stealth aircraft, supports worldwide deployments through the BEAR Base team and hosts the German Air Force’s Flying Training Center.
In 1992, Holloman replaced Tonopah Test Range, Nev., as the home to the first stealth fighter, the F-117A Nighthawk. Ironically, the F-117A retired on April 21, 2008, exactly 18 years after it made its “official” public debut at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
In June 2008, Holloman got national attention when Congress chose the 49th Wing as the third location to receive the U.S.’s premier air superiority fighter, the F-22A Raptor. The F-22A is designed to counter lethal threats posed by advanced surface-to-air missile systems and nextgeneration fighters equipped with launchand- leave missile capability. The Raptor is America’s premier transformational weapon system that will secure our asymmetric advantage with enemy forces and ensure the successful execution of our National Defense Strategy. This aircraft will “kick down the door,” clearing the way for joint forces engagement. With the Raptor the Air Force is guaranteed to continue air dominance in the 21st century.