As the tribes accepted peace with the U.S., Fort Sill’s mission changed. The Army’s School of Musketry, now known as the Infantry School, moved, and the cavalry and infantry Soldiers were replaced by one of the Army’s largest concentrations of field artillery units. The War Department established the School of Fires (field artillery) here in 1911. The field artillery, known as the “king of battle,” has long been king of Fort Sill.
Today, the field artillery is joined by the air defense artillery and electronic warfare branches as part of the Fires Center of Excellence.
This center’s incredible contributions to the nation’s defense (and its Oklahoma home) include Air Defense Artillery School, Basic Officer Leaders Course, Field Artillery School and Fort Sill NCO Academy.
All field artillery Soldiers and Marines receive their training here, as well as many international students from allied nations. Fort Sill is home to the Field Artillery Training Command.
Officers and Soldiers are given a lifetime of professional training in the classroom, in simulators and in the field using the latest in equipment and tactics.