Telephone (if calling from U.S.)011-81-3117-63-4127
HQ, U.S. Army Medical Department Activities-Japan
APO AREA Pacific 96338-5011
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday.
Active-Duty Appointment: 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.
U.S. Army Medical Department Activity-Japan (MEDDAC-J) provides outpatient primary care and limited specialty care services to active-duty personnel, retired military, Department of the Army civilians, and their families. Although the main service of MEDDAC-J is primary care, physical therapy, optometry and behavioral health services are also available.
Staffing: MEDDAC-J is staffed by Family Medicine and general medicine physicians and a nurse practitioner who see all authorized beneficiaries. The Behavioral Health Service is staffed by a clinical psychologist and social workers who provide individual, marital, family and group counseling.
Host Country Medical Services: All the TRICARE Prime Overseas beneficiaries including active duty and their eligible family members receive host national medical care at no cost. Retirees and their eligible family members are charged for care at host nation medical facilities. Civilians are charged for care at either the military or host nation medical facilities.
Other Military Treatment Facilities: Specialists in pediatrics, surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics, dermatology, urology, allergy and radiology are available at local U.S. Air Force and Navy hospitals. Referral by a MEDDAC-J provider is necessary for an appointment to see a specialist. However, MEDDAC-J personnel will assist in obtaining these appointments once the primary care manager refers the patient to specialty care. MEDDAC-J also provides a shuttle to and from Navy and Air Force medical treatment facilities.
In-Hospital Care: Beneficiaries requiring in-hospital care are referred or transported to the 374th Medical Group Yokota, U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka or host nation medical facilities such as Kitazato University Hospital in Sagamihara City if the required care is not available in the military system.
Emergency Care: MEDDAC-J does not have an emergency medicine department. Emergency medical services may be obtained by calling 911. For 911 calls initiated in Camp Zama, MEDDAC-J will transport the patient to the appropriate host nation hospital with the capability and capacity to meet the medical need. For 911 calls initiated in Sagamihara Family Housing Area or Sagami Depot, a host nation ambulance will transport the patient to the appropriate host nation hospital with the capability and capacity to meet the medical need. In all cases where a U.S. patient is taken to a host nation hospital, MEDDAC-J will send a translator to the hospital to facilitate communication between the patient and the clinical staff.
Other Military Treatment Facilities in Japan
Mainland Japan – Navy
- U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhyoko/Pages/default.aspx
- Branch Health Clinic Atsugi, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhyoko/Pages/Atsugi.aspx
- Branch Health Clinic Negishi, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhyoko/Pages/default.aspx
- Branch Health Clinic Sasebo, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhyoko/Pages/Sasebo.aspx
Mainland Japan – Air Force
- 374th Medical Group, Yokota, www.yokota.af.mil/units/374medicalgroup/index.asp
- 35th Medical Group, Misawa, http://newpreview.afnews.af.mil/misawa/units/35mdg.asp
Okinawa – Navy
- U.S. Naval Hospital Okinawa, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Pages/default.aspx
- Bush Branch Medical Clinic, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/PrimaryCare/Pages/Bush.aspx
- Evans Branch Medical Clinic, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/PrimaryCare/Pages/Evans.aspx
- Foster Family Practice Clinic, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/PrimaryCare/Pages/Lester.aspx
- Futenma Branch Medical Clinic, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/PrimaryCare/Pages/Futenma.aspx
- Hansen Branch Medical Clinic, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/PrimaryCare/Pages/Hansen.aspx
- Kinser Branch Medical Clinic, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/PrimaryCare/Pages/Kinser.aspx
- Schwab Branch Medical Clinic, www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/PrimaryCare/Pages/Schwab.aspx
Okinawa – Air Force
- 18th Medical Group, Kadena, www.kadena.af.mil/kadenamedicalclinic/index.asp