FORT CARSON

Digital Relocation/Welcome Guide

Welcome to Fort Carson

comments

Welcome

Fort Carson, “The Mountain Post,” is located just south of Colorado Springs at the base of the Rocky Mountains. The unparalleled beauty and mild climate of Colorado Springs make it a gateway to a wide variety of outdoor activities. Many internationally known ski areas and some of the nation’s most scenic parks and finest hunting and fishing areas are located within a short drive. Fort Carson Families have easy access to the many cultural attractions of “The Springs” and the bright lights of nearby Denver.

read more

Housing

comments

Off-Post Housing Referral

Army regulation requires Soldiers to report to the DPW Housing Service Office — located at the west end of building 1225 off of Evans Street — before making any permanent off-post living arrangements. Call 719-526-2323/2322/5219 for more information.

read more

Health Services

comments

Evans Army Community Hospital (EACH)

Evans Army Community Hospital is located in building 7500 off Titus Boulevard, near the golf course. The five-story hospital has a 92-bed capacity, while an adjoining, two-story clinic building contains Warrior Family Medicine Clinic and numerous outpatient specialty clinics with 400 examination and treatment rooms. A common area atrium connects the two sections of the Evans hospital building. This area includes the main entrance, medical library, chapel and pharmacy.

read more

Carson Community

comments

Schools

Several school districts serve the communities surrounding Fort Carson:

Colorado Springs School District 11
(north of post) 520-2000

Cheyenne Mountain School District 12
(northwest of post) 475-6100

read more

Units

comments

4th Infantry Division

The 4th Infantry Division’s nickname, “Ivy” Division, comes from the design of its shoulder patch, four green ivy leaves joined at the stem and opening at the four corners. Ivy leaves are symbolic of tenacity and fidelity and are the basis of the division motto, “Steadfast and Loyal.” The word ivy is a play on the Roman numeral four, IV.

read more

History

comments

Fort Carson was established in 1942, following Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor. The city of Colorado Springs purchased land south of the city and donated it to the War Department. Construction began immediately and the first building, the camp headquarters, was completed Jan. 31, 1942.

read more

Training Areas

comments

Downrange At Fort Carson

Fort Carson is bounded on the east by Interstate 25 and on the west by Colorado Highway 115. The installation extends from the main post, which is just south of Academy Boulevard, to its southern perimeter, which lies just north of the communities of Pueblo West and Penrose.

read more

Fort Carson Soldier for Life

comments

The Fort Carson Soldier For Life – Transition Assistance Program (SFL-TAP) is a congressionally mandated program designed to help prepare Soldiers and their Family members for their transition out of the Army and back into civilian life. This assistance focuses on, but is not limited to, seeking employment, seeking an education, entrepreneurship or technical training.

read more

Recreation and Leisure

comments

Outdoor Recreation Complex

The Fort Carson Outdoor Recreation Complex is located in building 2429, on the corner of Specker and Wetzel avenues. The complex houses the Equipment Checkout Center; Information, Tickets and Registration; the Adventure Programs and Education team; the Mountain Post Outfitters retail store; two classrooms; and a 28-foot tall and 43-foot wide indoor climbing wall. Located across the street from the complex are the Alpine Tower challenge course and an archery range. The complex also manages the recreational vehicle storage lots around the Mountain Post.

read more

Surrounding Communities

comments

Colorado History

What is now called Colorado was originally part of New Spain. The Spanish heritage lingers on in the names of cities and places, particularly in southern Colorado. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains (Blood of Christ Mountains) and Trinidad, named for the Trinity, are examples. Colorado is the Spanish word for “red.” The name is taken from the red-colored Colorado River. The Spanish heard from the Native Americans there was gold in the mountains, but did not search for it. As the Spanish claim became weaker, parts of the area were ceded to France. The French heritage can be traced through names remaining on Colorado maps, such as Lafayette, LaSalle, Cache La Poudre and Louviers, mainly in the northern part of the state.

read more

Area Attractions

comments

Area Attractions

Every year countless pleasure-seeking tourists discover Pikes Peak country is filled with great things to do. For more than 100 years, the region has been a mecca, attracting people in search of gold, health and natural scenic beauty. For more information, call Fort Carson’s Information, Tickets and Registration Office at 719-526-5366 or the Colorado Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau at 719-635-7506.

read more