4th Infantry DivisionThe 4th Infantry Division’s nickname, “Ivy” Division, comes from the design of its shoulder patch, four green ivy leaves joined at the stem and opening at the four corners. Ivy leaves are symbolic of tenacity and fidelity and are the basis of the division motto, “Steadfast and Loyal.” The word ivy is a play on the Roman numeral four, IV.
The 4th Infantry Division has participated in World War I, World War II, Vietnam, Operation Iraqi Freedom Operation New Dawn and, most recently, Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. In November 2002, the 4th Infantry Division assumed the division ready brigade mission and by January 2003,received orders to form a task force in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The division began deploying in March 2003. The Division returned from Iraq one year later. Following a successful 12-month deployment, the 4th Infantry Division received orders for deployment to Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 to serve as the Multi-National Division Baghdad Headquarters, departing Fort Hood, Texas, in November 2005 and returning in November 2006.
In January 2007, the 4th Infantry Division was called on again to serve as the Multi-National Division Baghdad (MND-B) Headquarters for OIF 07-09. In the succeeding months, the Soldiers of Ironhorse Division trained and prepared for 15 months of combat.
By December 2007, the division assumed the battle-space of Multi-National Division Baghdad for a second time. The Ironhorse Division met Army strategic objectives as MND-B by setting the stage for strategic decisions to be made by the president of the United States and the prime minister of Iraq. The steadfast and loyal Soldiers of the division achieved the lowest levels of attacks in the history of OIF and the highest level of reconstruction and capacity building ever in Baghdad Province.
In July 2009, upon returning from deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the 4th Infantry Division restationed to Fort Carson from Fort Hood, Texas.
In May 2009, Soldiers of the 4th BCT deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and became the first Ivy Soldiers to enter the war in Afghanistan. Since then Soldiers from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and
4th Brigades have also deployed in support of the war. Their service has not been without loss, as more than sixty 4th Infantry Division Soldiers have paid the ultimate sacrifice during this war. In July 2013 the Ironhorse Division deployed to Afghanistan as the headquarters for Regional Command South based out of Kandahar Airfield, with the mission to begin the redeployment and downsizing of U.S. forces in southern Afghanistan. The division redeployed in July 2014 after successfully preparing the way for turning the mission over to Afghan forces. The 4th Infantry Division continues to serve with distinction and add to its storied History. The Ivy Division stands ready to bring the full spectrum of combat power to meet the nation’s call once again.
1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry DivisionThe “Raider” Brigade, 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized) was constituted Nov. 19, 1917, in the Regular Army as Headquarters Troop, 4th Division. The unit participated in World War I and was involved in numerous campaigns including Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne, and Lorraine.
It reorganized July 6, 1942, as Headquarters Company, 4th Division in preparation for the initial assault into Normandy. Following the end of the Second World War, the unit was inactivated on March 12, 1946 at Camp Butner, North Carolina. The Raider Brigade served in Vietnam operating in numerous operations and counteroffensives. On Oct. 15, 1995, the brigade inactivated at Fort Carson, Colorado, but was reactivated at Fort Hood, Texas on Jan. 16, 1996.
In March 2003, the Raider Brigade deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. On Dec. 13, 2003, 600 Raider Brigade Soldiers, along with special operations forces, launched operation Red Dawn which resulted in capturing the former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
The Raider Brigade was reorganized and re-designated as the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division in 2004. The brigade deployed again to Iraq in January 2006 fulfilling their second rotation in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The Raider Brigade deployed for the third time in March 2008, this time to the southern side of Baghdad during the peak of sectarian violence across Baghdad. After successful provincial elections in January 2009, the Raider Brigade returned to Fort Hood the following March. In the summer of 2009 the Raider Brigade conducted a move from Fort Hood to Fort Carson.
In September 2009, the Raider Brigade received orders to become the first Heavy Brigade Combat Team to deploy to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. The Raider Brigade deployed in July 2010 and operated in two regional commands in the South and West. Combined Task Force Raider fought and trained side by side with the Afghan National Security Forces and International Security Assistance Forces partners from Herat and Farah to Kandahar and Arghandab.
In February 2013, the Raider Brigade deployed to Kuwait in support of Operation Spartan Shield as a regional contingency force. While deployed, the Raider Brigade worked to further develop regional partnerships and increase multi-national interoperability and conducted training and readiness exercises in preparation to react to multiple ongoing regional crisis areas as needed.
In December 2013, the Raider Brigade imitated an Army directed transition from a Heavy Armor BDE to the Army’s first Double V-Hull Stryker Brigade Combat Team. In March 2014, the Raider Brigade officially reflagged all of its subordinate battalions and activated two new infantry battalions, signifying the transition to a Stryker brigade and aligning the battalions under the lineage of the recently deactivated 4/2 Stryker Brigade Combat Team.
3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry DivisionThe 3rd Brigade was constituted Nov. 19, 1917, in the Regular Army as Headquarters, 8th Infantry Brigade, as an element of the 4th Infantry Division. It was organized in December 1917 at Camp Greene, North Carolina. The brigade has been reorganized and redesignated several times over the years. Finally, on Dec. 15, 1970, it was activated at Fort Carson as 3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division.
When the Division Headquarters moved to Fort Hood, Texas, in 1995, the brigade remained at Fort Carson and was redesignated as the 3rd Brigade Combat Team (3rd BCT). In May 2006, the brigade completed its transformation to the Army’s modular design.
The brigade has received numerous campaign participation credits, including Aisne-Marne and Meuse-Argonne During World War I; Counteroffensive, Phases II-VI, and Tet Counteroffensive in Vietnam; and Operation Iraqi Freedom I of the War on Terrorism to name a few. A few of its more prestigious decorations include the Presidential Unit Citation, the Valorous Unit Award, the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, and the Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class.
The 3rd Brigade Combat Team is comprised of nearly 3,800 Soldiers including: 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment; the 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment; the 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment; the 3rd Battalion, 29th Field Artillery Regiment; the 3rd Special Troops Battalion; and 64th Brigade Support Battalion.
The 3rd ABCT has deployed four times in a span of seven years in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom: from 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2007-2008 and later, Operation New Dawn from 2010-2011. In Iraq, the brigade’s mission included several key areas: neutralizing the anti-Iraqi forces, building a capable Iraqi Security Force, legitimizing a responsive government, and putting Iraqis in the lead. During the latter half of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the beginning of Operation New Dawn, from March 2010-2011, the 3rd ABCT had the mission to serve as an advise and assist brigade responsible for advising, training, and assisting Iraqi Security Forces. During that deployment, they provided training and assistance to Iraqi security forces, while simultaneously assisting the Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRT) in helping the Iraqi government rebuild its civil capacity and infrastructure. While there, the brigade fell under the command of the 1st Infantry Division and the 36th Infantry Division in the southern four provinces of Iraq.
Along with its organic elements, the brigade partnered with two Iraqi Army Divisions, 10th IA Division and 14th IA Division; 4th Region DBE with the 9th, 10th, and 14th Brigades; three ports of entry one each at Safwan, Al Sheeb, and Shalamcheh; one Federal Police Brigade; the Iraqi Highway Police in Dhi Qar Province; and Iraqi police with four separate provincial directors of police. The brigade also partnered with four PRTs, responsible for securing movement, assessing projects and managing commanders’ emergency response funds.
The brigade’s units worked with their partners diligently; training, mentoring and providing enablers when needed to assist the Iraqis to develop an effective and lethal security force capable of defeating the anti-Iraqi forces and supporting the elected government. The 3rd ABCT returned to Fort Carson in March 2011.
The 3rd ABCT sent more than 300 of its officers and senior noncommissioned officers in April and May 2012 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. These 3rd ABCT Security Forces Assistance Teams (SFAT) deployed on a mission to the southern provinces of Afghanistan to help mentor and train Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF). The 3rd ABCT was one of the first brigade’s in the Army to be given this mission. Since this deployment, “Iron Brigade” officers, NCOs and Soldiers have continued to train on decisive action tasks in order to prepare and maintain combat readiness to fulfill any future mission requirements.
2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry DivisionThe Warhorse Brigade, formerly 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, was reflagged to Warriors, 4th BCT, 4th Infantry Division April 8, 2008. The brigade was again reflagged April 16, 2015, to 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team.
The 2nd Infantry Division was activated Oct. 26, 1917, in Beaumont, France. Campaigns included the Battle of Belleau-Wood, Chateau-Thierry campaign, Soissons, Mont Blanc and the Meuse-Argonne offensive.
With the outbreak of hostilities in Korea during the summer of 1950, the 2nd Infantry Division arrived in Korea July 23, 1950, becoming the first unit to reach Korea directly from the United States. The Second Infantry Division was instrumental in smashing the communist’s spring offensive. On Aug. 20,1954, four years after its last unit arrived in Korea, the 2nd Infantry Division redeployed to the United States.
The 2nd Infantry Division returned to the Republic of Korea in July 1965. The 2nd Brigade stood at the forefront of the division’s defenses, deterring war on the Korean Peninsula. On May 18, 2004, the brigade received a change of mission order, and was alerted for deployment away from Korea in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. From August 2004 to July 2005, with the brigade headquarters situated in Ramadi, Iraq, 2nd BCT fought in areas along the Euphrates River in Al Anbar Province, 70 miles west of Baghdad. During its yearlong campaign, 2nd BCT captured or killed more than 2,100 insurgents and terrorists, helping to establish a more secure environment for the 420,000 Iraqi residents there. Members of 2nd BCT fought in the Fallujah offensive in November 2004 and provided Iraqis the opportunity to vote in the historic national elections of January 2005.
In 2007, the brigade worked to ensure the citizens of Iraq a secure future by battling the insurgency and establishing more favorable conditions for the emerging democratic Iraqi government. The brigade also trained and partnered with thousands of Iraqi Security Force soldiers, enabling them to better secure their country.
In July and August 2005, 2nd BCT redeployed from Iraq and restationed at its new home at Fort Carson. In October 2006, the brigade began its second deployment to Iraq and inherited the largest and most violent sectors in Multi-National Division Baghdad.
The 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, was activated Dec. 16, 2004. In late 2005, the unit deployed with the 4th Infantry Division in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and assumed responsibility of the operating environment in central and southern Baghdad from the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Jan. 14, 2006.
The 4th Brigade was deployed and headquartered at Forward Operating Base Prosperity with units based from FOB Falcon, FOB Honor and FOB Union III. The brigade secured Baghdad’s International Zone and conducted continuous operations in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Baghdad. More than 70 percent of Baghdad was under the control of the Iraqi Security Forces when the brigade redeployed to Fort Hood, Texas, in December 2006, a remarkable achievement for a unit still considered “new” in the U.S. Army.
Upon redeployment to Fort Hood in December 2006, the brigade immediately started training for future missions. On April 8, 2008, the 2nd BCT, 2nd Inf. Div. reflagged as the 4th BCT, 4th Inf. Div. at Fort Carson, consolidating the two active battalions of the 12th Infantry Regiment for the first time since 1995. The brigade is now the 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, known as the Warhorse Brigade.
4th Combat Aviation BrigadeThe “Iron Eagles” were first constituted April 1, 1957 as the 4th Aviation Company, assigned to the 4th Infantry Division and activated at Fort Lewis, Washington. It was reorganized and redesignated Oct. 1, 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Aviation Battalion.
The 4th Aviation Battalion deployed to the Republic of Vietnam in September 1966, where it participated in multiple campaigns, and was awarded two Republic of Vietnam Crosses of Gallantry, and one Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal. The unit redeployed back to the United States in 1970. It was inactivated Dec. 4, 1970 at Fort Lewis.
4th Aviation Battalion was redesignated Nov. 21, 1972 as Aviation Company, 4th Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Carson, Colorado. It was again reorganized and redesignated March 17, 1980 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Aviation Battalion, and again Aug. 16, 1987 as 4th Aviation. In 1995, the unit was relocated to Fort Hood, Texas with the 4th Infantry Division. On Oct. 1, 2005 the unit was again redesignated as the 4th Aviation Regiment.
The 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, deployed twice in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, once in 2005 and again in 2008, and was awarded two Meritorious Unit Citations. The unit’s most recent deployment was in 2010 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, after which the brigade was awarded a Valorous Unit Award. Task Force Iron Eagle supported 22 allied nations across four regional commands, the largest geographical area of any combat aviation brigade.
The 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, was inactivated in September 2011 at Fort Hood and was reactivated July 2, 2013, at Fort Carson.
4th Infantry Division BandThe Continental Army of 1776 depended upon quality musicians for regimental drill. The inspiration of the marching band was a significant contribution in the victory at the Battle of Bennington in 1777 as the band led the troops to the battle. By 1832, almost all regiments had a band, and by mid-19th century, regiments had additional field musicians of drummers and buglers to sound calls for specific times and to transmit commands in battle.
From the first formations of the Continental Army, bands were included in the ranks to provide music for two main purposes: ceremonial functions and bolstering troop morale. Army bands have borne the customs and traditions of the Army service, incorporating the legends and practices of the past, and representing them in the present. The band carries lineage and tradition of their units into the public view as they march as the vanguard of a wide variety of traditional ceremonies. The mace, the baldric and the drums of an Army band display the battle honors of the division or unit it serves. In ways that written or spoken language cannot adequately convey, the patriotic music encourages an element of bonded spirit among all Soldiers. Army bands are a living testament of Army tradition.
The 4th Infantry Division Band was constituted July 30, 1943, as the Band, 4th Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Dix, New Jersey, Aug. 4, 1943. On Oct. 1, 1943, the band was consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 4th Infantry Division Trains, and redesignated as Headquarters, Headquarters and Band, 4th Infantry Division Support Command.
Redesignated Dec. 1, 1943, as the 4th Infantry Division Band, the band traveled to Europe with the division and performed in England, France and Germany during World War II. The band’s tour lasted until early 1946 and entitled the band to battle streamers for Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. Upon returning to Camp Butner, North Carolina, the band was deactivated March 12, 1946.
The band was reactivated July 15, 1947, at Fort Ord, California, and traveled to Fort Benning, Georgia, before moving to Germany in 1951. The 4th Infantry Division Band stayed in Germany supporting the North Atlantic Treaty Organization from 1951-1956 when it returned to the United States and was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington.
On Nov. 1, 1965, the band was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, Headquarters Company and Band, 4th Infantry Division Support Command.
In September 1966, the band arrived at the Division Base Camp south of Pleiku, South Vietnam. The band performed military ceremonies and Christmas concerts there as well as various forward areas in the vicinity of Plei Djerong. In addition, the band supported the 3rd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, the Pleiku Sub-Area Command (First Logistical Command), I Field Forces Vietnam and the U.S. Air Force units located in the Pleiku area. In 1967, the band provided ceremonial music and musical entertainment for military and civilian audiences in the locations from Ban Me Thuot and Qui Nhon to Chu Lai and Dak To. For its work in Vietnam during the period of Nov. 1, 1967, through Oct. 31, 1968, the band was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation. For its cumulative efforts in Vietnam during the period 1966-1970, the band also earned two Vietnamese Gallantry Crosses with Palm; a Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation; and battle streamers for Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Tet 69 Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive and Counteroffensive Phase VII.
The band returned to the United States and moved to Fort Carson where it stayed from 1970 to 1995. In 1995, the band moved with the Headquarters, 4th Infantry Division to Fort Hood, Texas. During the period of persistent conflict since 2001, the 4th Infantry Division Band has supported Operation Iraqi Freedom three times, resulting in the awarding of three more Meritorious Unit Commendations.
After a 14-year absence, the 4th Infantry Division Band has returned to Fort Carson. Half of the band deployed in support of Operation New Dawn in 2010. The band’s modular approach to deployment allowed it to support USD-North and the Fort Carson and Colorado Springs communities simultaneously.
If interested in requesting the 4th Infantry Division Band, please contact the operations section of the 4th Infantry Division Band at 526-5779. You will need to submit your request on a DD2536, and the request should be made 60 days before your event.
10th Special Forces GroupThe 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and the history of the United States Army Special Forces are intertwined, since the group is the oldest Special Forces Group in the Army.
The establishment of the Group on June 19, 1952, was also the establishment of Special Forces. The history of the group begins with the formation of the Office of Strategic Services under the command of Brig. Gen. William O. “Wild Bill” Donovan in 1942. Its missions took the unit behind enemy lines in every theater of operations during World War II. Americans, British, French, Belgians, Dutch, South Africans, New Zealanders and Canadians all filled the ranks of the OSS. In France, small elements called “Jedburgh teams” were employed to assist the allied landings and subsequent breakouts at both Normandy and Provence.
The official lineage and colors of the group go back to the 1st Special Service Force, a joint U.S.-Canadian Army force established in 1942, at Fort William Henry Harrison in Helena, Montana, for the conduct of winter commando-type operations in Europe.
The 10th SFG(A) is assigned to the U.S. Army’s Special Forces Command in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, but headquartered at Fort Carson. The approximate 2,000 Soldiers assigned to the 10th SFG(A) train for and conduct combat, unconventional warfare, special reconnaissance and foreign internal defense missions.
The 10th SFG(A) consists of the Group Headquarters, the Group Support Battalion and four combat battalions; three are based at Fort Carson and one battalion is forward deployed to Panzer Kaserne in Stuttgart, Germany.
43rd Sustainment BrigadeThe mission of the 43rd Sustainment Brigade is to provide logistical support and support reception, staging, onward movement and integration and subsequently plan and coordinate sustainment and protection of forces on an area basis.
The 43rd SB is a combat service support unit stationed at Fort Carson. The 43rd SB has deployed to Somalia, Cuba, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
The 43rd Sustainment Brigade was constituted into the regular Army Jan. 18, 1966, as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 43rd General Support Group. The unit was activated March 26, 1966, at Fort Carson and later redesignated as the 43rd Support Group Dec. 1, 1970.
The 43rd has been deployed in support of operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm and to stabilize Somalia and Haiti. After deploying to support Operation Iraqi Freedom, the unit was redesignated the
43rd Sustainment Brigade upon redeployment to Fort Carson July 17, 2008.
Most recently, the 43rd SB deployed its headquarters to Kandahar, Afghanistan, February 2013, to command the U.S. Central Command Materiel Recovery Element (CMRE) forces. They were charged with de-commissioning facilities and managing the return or redistribution of U.S. resources.
Due to its modular design, subordinate units of the 43rd SB regularly deploy in support of Operation Enduring Freedom as companies or platoons.
The 43rd SB has three campaign participation credits for Southwest Asia Cease Fire (Desert Storm), OEF Liberation of Afghanistan and OEF Consolidation II.
The 43rd SB has three unit award decorations, the Meritorious Unit Citation for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service from Oct. 25, 1990, through April 19, 1991; the Joint Meritorious Unit Award and Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation for Operation Sea Signal, for exceptionally meritorious service in pursuit of joint military missions of great significance as the Joint Logistics Support Element, Guantanamo Bay Cuba, from Jan. 20, 1996 through April 15, 1996.
10th Combat Support HospitalThe motto of the 10th Combat Support Hospital (CSH), “In Cruce Vincam,” translates to “I Shall Conquer by the Cross.” This motto is intended to be inspirational in nature and refers to the CSH’s ability to conserve the fighting strength of the Soldier.
The green of the motto’s scroll symbolizes the green fields, the normal operational environment for an Army at war. The maroon and white are the colors of the Army Medical Department. The maroon colored cross represents the medical profession, while the white satire forming the Roman “X” indicates the numerical designation.
The unit was constituted in the U.S. Army June 23, 1942, and was first activated and designated as the 10th Field Hospital July 6, 1942 at Camp Bowie, Texas. During World War II, the 10th Field Hospital provided medical support in Tunisia, Italy, France and Germany. Two arrowhead devices were awarded to the 10th Field Hospital for participation in theses campaigns, and the unit was also awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation April 16, 1990, for services in the European Theater during 1944.
The unit was deactivated Nov. 4, 1945, at Camp Myles, Massachusetts, following the defeat of the Axis Powers. The 10th Field Hospital resumed its medical support and training mission in Germany, following its reactivation in the regular Army Aug. 25, 1949. The unit was redesignated as the 10th Evacuation Hospital June 15, 1962, and remained in Germany until its deactivation Aug. 16, 1965.
The 10th CSH was reactivated July 12, 1967, at Fort Meade, Maryland. On March 21, 1973, the Evacuation Hospital was reorganized and redesignated as the 10th Combat Support Hospital (CSH). It was redesignated as the 10th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) Aug. 16, 1983. On Aug. 5, 1987, Department of the Army directed a realignment of the 10th MASH with the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized), Fort Carson, Colorado, with an effective date of Aug. 16, 1988. The 10th MASH was aligned under the 43rd Support Group as a battalion organization with the following subordinate units: 517th Medical Company (Clearing), 571st Medical Detachment (Air Ambulance), 223rd Medical Detachment (Preventive Medicine) and 40th Dental Company.
On Jan. 3, 1991, the 10th MASH deployed to Saudi Arabia with the 44th Medical Brigade, 1st Medical Group in support of Operation Desert Storm until July 1991. The Department of the Army redesignated the 10th MASH as the 10th Combat Support Hospital Dec. 16, 1992. The 10th CSH (FWD) deployed to Bosnia and Hungary in support of Operation Joint Forge from March 12 to Sept. 27, 1999.
On Nov. 17, 1999, the Department of the Army, in accordance with the Medical Reengineering Initiative (MRI), reorganized the 10th CSH into three companies, HHD, Alpha Co (164 bed), and Bravo Co (84 bed), and one detachment, the 223rd Medical Detachment (Preventive Medicine).
Since the MRI, three more detachments have been activated and organized under the 10th CSH: on Oct. 16, 2000, the 2nd Medical Detachment (Forward Surgical Team); on Oct. 17, 2007, the 221st Medical Detachment (Optometry); and on Oct. 15, 2010, the 438th Medical Detachment (Veterinary Service). From April 9 to July 22, 2003, the unit deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom under the command and control of the 30th Medical Brigade.
In January 2004, the 10th Combat Support Hospital became the first hospital to complete the Medical Reengineering Initiative conversion. With the conversion, the 10th CSH is now a more mobile 84-bed hospital with an additional 164 beds in storage, if ever needed. The CSH is designed to provide level III care to deployed Soldiers during wartime operations or humanitarian missions. The hospital facility is the Deployable Medical System, which consists of temper tents and shelters. It is composed of an emergency medical treatment section with a dispensary, one operating room with two tables, two intensive care units each composed of 12 beds, three intermediate care wards each composed of 20 beds, one central materiel services section, laboratory with limited testing capabilities, blood bank, radiology with portable X-ray capability and digital processing and a pharmacy. Due to recent experiences, the 10th CSH has requested an additional OR shelter to increase surgical capabilities. Though the 10th CSH is an Echelon-Above-Division asset, and therefore requires support, with the MRI conversion it is now more self-sufficient than before.
The 10th CSH deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07. While conducting split-based operations in Tallil and Baghdad, Medical Task Force 10 provided unmatched Level III combat health support with a 94-percent survivability rate. The unit returned to Fort Carson from Iraq Oct. 14, 2006, and received an additional Meritorious Unit Commendation.
In 2009-2010, the 10th CSH deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom and once again provided unmatched Level III combat health support with a 98-percent survivability rate, the highest survivability rate in the history of American warfare.
Most recently, the 10th CSH deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and conducted split base operation between FOB Dwyer and many locations throughout the country. The survivability rate was unmatched by any other unit, and a successful transition was conducted with the incoming unit.
The staff of the hospital is comprised of two personnel components: permanently assigned and professional fillers or PROFIS. With the fiscal 2007 modified table of organization and equipment, the 10th CSH had 482 required positions, which consist of 237 permanently assigned and 245 PROFIS. With the MRI conversion, this represents a shift with the number of permanently assigned personnel decreasing and the number of PROFIS increasing by approximately 40 each. The backbone of a fully operational and functional hospital is the competent staff found under the canvas. An important part of that competent team is the PROFIS staff that makes up more than half of the staff and includes the majority of the clinical professionals. The 10th Combat Support Hospital is the premier combat support hospital within Forces Command and the Department of Defense. The 10th CSH provides comprehensive level III medical care and health services to conserve the fighting strength of America’s Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.
4th Engineer BattalionThe 4th Engineer Battalion, “The Vanguard of the 4th Division,” saw action in the Civil War, World War I, World War II and Vietnam. It was organized Dec. 31, 1861, in Washington, D.C., from new and existing companies of engineers as a provisional engineer battalion. It was constituted July 28, 1866, as the Battalion of Engineers.
The 4th Regiment of Engineers was redesignated as the 4th Engineers in August 1917 and was assigned to the 4th Division in January 1918. After occupation service, the unit was inactivated in 1921 at Fort Lewis, Washington. Between 1927-1933 the unit was reassigned to support the 6th Division, and six years later it was redesignated as the 4th Engineer Battalion activated (less Company A, which activated July 24, 1922, at Fort Bragg, North Carolina) June 1, 1940, at Fort Benning, Georgia. In reorganizations and redesignations the 4th Engineer Motorized Battalion (September 1942) then the 4th Engineer Combat Battalion (August 1943) were formed.
Elements of the 4th Engineer Combat Battalion were in the first wave of assault troops to hit the beaches of Normandy in the early hours of D-day. The combat engineers of the 4th Eng. Bn. cleared Utah Beach of mines and opened a road for elements of the famed 8th and 22d infantry regiments. The battalion took part in the fighting in the Huertgen Forest, where it earned a Presidential Unit Citation. In all, the 4th Engineer Battalion took part in five World War II campaigns.
Soon after World War II ended, the unit was inactivated Feb. 19, 1946, at Camp Butner, North Carolina. This did not last long however, with reactivation July 6, 1948 at Fort Ord, California, and subsequent redesignation as the 4th Engineer Battalion in June 1953.
The unit supported operations in Vietnam, including during the Tet Offensive of 1968. Throughout its involvement during The Vietnam War, the battalion participated in 11 different campaigns.
During the initial stages of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the 4th Engineer Battalion crossed the border into Iraq on April 14, 2003. Stationed north of Baghdad, Sappers of the 4th Eng. Bn. conducted numerous reconstruction projects, destroyed countless ammunition caches, conducted presence patrols and was subsequently awarded the Valorous Unit Award upon its redeployment. The battalion was inactivated Dec. 15, 2004, and was later reactivated Oct. 18, 2006 at Fort Carson as the 4th Engineer Battalion (Combat Effects) a part of 555th Engineer Brigade based out of Fort Lewis, Washington.
It deployed in February 2009 in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and was subsequently redeployed to southern Afghanistan to perform route clearance missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, until redeployment in February 2010. Its deployment to Iraq and redeployment to Afghanistan was the first subsequent redeployment mission since World War II. The battalion deployed to Afghanistan in the summer of 2013 as Task Force Iron Fist located in Kandahar, RC-South. The battalion redeployed to Fort Carson in December 2013.
The 4th Engineer Battalion is one of the Engineer Regiment’s oldest and most decorated battalions. The 4th Engineer Battalion’s unit decorations include the Presidential Unit Citation, the Valorous Unit Award and the Meritorious Unit Commendation.
52nd Engineer BattalionThe 52nd Engineer Combat Battalion began as a railway construction battalion at Camp Upon, N.Y., Feb. 18, 1918. It saw service in France in World War I where it had the difficult mission of constructing and repairing the railroads that were the logistics life for the American Expeditionary Forces. The unit was inactivated after World War I.
During World War II the battalion participated in the North African, Sicilian, and Italian Campaigns. In November 1942, the battalion was part of the assault echelon in landings in North Africa. The battalion was again in the assault echelon during the invasion of Sicily where the engineers hastily cleared sections of beaches, reconnoitered for exit routes, provided dozer support and knocked out pillboxes.
In February 1968, after several redesignations, the 52nd Engineer Battalion was activated at Fort Carson, where it has remained providing construction and combat engineer support. In October 1990 through April 1991, the 52nd Engineer Battalion deployed to Saudi Arabia, where the battalion performed many missions during the defensive and offensive phases of Operation Desert Shield/Storm.
From September-December 1994, the 52nd Engineer Battalion deployed to Haiti in support of the U.S. and international forces that re-established democracy in that country. The 52nd Engineers operated a rock quarry where more than 200,000 tons of rock were removed; making this the largest military quarry operation in a tactical environment since the Korean Conflict. In October 1999 the 52nd Engineer Battalion was established as one of the first multi-component engineer battalions in the Army, consisting of active duty, Army Reserve and National Guard companies.
In 2003 the 52nd Engineer Combat Battalion (Heavy), based at Fort Carson, deployed to Iraq in support of the 101st Airborne Division and operated out of Mosul, Iraq, where it conducted multiple construction projects for the Screaming Eagles. After the battalion returned to Fort Carson, the 52nd Engineer Battalion split from its multi-component companies and inactivated in February 2005.
The 52nd Engineer Battalion (Construction) was activated April 16 2010 at Fort Carson where once again the battalion provides construction engineer support to units at Fort Carson and is prepared to support full spectrum operations throughout the world.
71st EOD GroupThe 71st Ordnance Group (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) was recently activated and redesignated as an EOD group at Fort Carson Oct. 16, 2005, at which time the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment was swiftly positioned to deploy in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom as the Combined Joint Task Force Troy, where the organization earned two Joint Meritorious Unit Awards while being responsible for the Counter Improvised Explosive Device fight and proved its resoluteness in defeating the enemy’s primary weapon of choice in the operation. The 71st Ordnance Group recently returned from deployment to Operation Enduring Freedom serving as Combined Joint Task Force Paladin. Their mission was to train the force, defeat the device, attack the network and enable justice. CJTF Paladin managed the U.S. EOD assets and coordinated with multi-national EOD assets throughout Afghanistan.
The official lineage of the 71st Ordnance Group (EOD) was firmly planted on the European battlefront of World War II. Originally constituted in the U.S. Army July 17, 1944, it was formally activated in France July 23, 1944. The 71st EOD Group saw service in the European theater of operations earning campaign streamers for Normandy, Northern France, the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe, before its deactivation in Germany in June 1946. From there, the unit was transferred to the Reserves and underwent several reorganizations and redesignations, ending as the 361st Ordnance Group, then activating in the Ready Reserves in March 1947 until it inactivated in April 1954. One year later, the group was returned to the regular Army and activated May 13, 1955, in Germany as the 71st Ordnance Group until it inactivated in June 1959. The 71st Ordnance Group remained inactive until it was reactivated in Korea in December 1962 and inactivated Jan. 1, 1966, in the Republic of Korea.
The 71st Ordnance Group (EOD) is one of two active-duty EOD groups in the U.S. Army and has an additional responsibility to support U.S. Northern Command as a homeland defense asset. With the largest concentration of EOD Soldiers in the Army, the group consists of the headquarters and four subordinate battalions. The group’s battalions are positioned strategically across the area of operations to provide timely EOD support.
759th MP BattalionThe 759th Military Police Battalion was constituted Aug. 19, 1942, and activated Sept. 15, 1942, at Fort Ontario, New York. The battalion remained at Fort Ontario undergoing training until March 1943 when it moved to New York City and was engaged in dock security.
The 759th supported the war effort in Europe during World War II with 12th Army Group, 3rd Army and 7th Army. Following the war, it served in Berlin, training the new German police force and providing security in the American sector. The unit was inactivated Nov. 2, 1953.
The battalion was activated again June 6, 1968, at Fort Dix, New Jersey, and reorganized Nov. 2, 1970. On June 3, 1974, the 555th MP Company was transferred to Fort Lee, Virginia. The battalion supported Cuban resettlement operations in 1980-1981 at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin.
The 759th Military Police Battalion was relocated to Fort Carson in 1987. From Aug. 6, 1990, to Dec. 4, 1990, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and the 984th MP Company deployed to Panama in support of Operation Promote Liberty. Their mission was to protect U.S. citizens, U.S. property and U.S. interests in support of the nation-building process.
In 1991, the battalion deployed in support of operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The battalion was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation and Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA.
From 1992-1993, the 984th MP Company deployed to Somalia in support of Operation Restore Hope. The company was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award. From Sept. 9, 1994, to Jan. 23, 1995, the headquarters detachment and the 59th MP Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Their mission was to provide humanitarian and civil affairs operations in support of Cuban and Haitian migrant camps. For their efforts, the battalion was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award and Streamer embroidered GUANTANAMO BAY.
In 1999, the 759th MP Bn. was awarded the Superior Unit Citation for distinguishing itself by deploying and redeploying subordinate units and individual Soldiers in support of two major contingency operations, three major training exercises and numerous secretary of defense and U.S. Army Forces Command support missions, while simultaneously providing force protection and law enforcement support of the Fort Carson community.
Following Sept. 11, 2001, the battalion deployed to the Military District of Washington in support of Operation Noble Eagle.
There they provided security to the Pentagon.
In September 2002, the 984th MP Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Soldiers provided security at the detention facilities and were involved in multiple air-bridge missions to Afghanistan. In 2003, the 59th MP Company deployed to Baghdad, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The company was located at Camp Victory and conducted numerous patrols in the vicinity of the camp as both law enforcement and combat operations.
In January 2004, the battalion deployed to Baghdad, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Upon arrival into theater, the battalion was put in charge of numerous Iraqi police stations on the east side of the Tigris River. In October 2004, the battalion moved to Abu Ghraib prison to support the 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion and 1st Cavalry Division in Fallujah. Soldiers from the 984th MP Company and 630th MP Company provided security to the major access roads into Fallujah, allowing freedom of movement for coalition forces.
The Lone Sentinel Battalion once again was called to Iraq in Support of OIF 06-08, departing Fort Carson Aug. 24, 2006, and serving in Iraq until its redeployment Nov. 12, 2007. The 759th MP Battalion was the first MP battalion to endure the 15-month deployment. Serving alongside the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, and the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, in East Baghdad, the 759th oversaw the equipping and training of the Iraqi police in more than 60 Iraqi police stations there. The Task Force logged more than 1 million miles on the road and conducted more than 60,000 combat patrols during its combat service in Iraq. In July 2007, the 59th MP Company deployed as a part of the U.S. Forces’ “surge” effort, serving with Task Force Lone Sentinel until the battalion colors redeployed in September 2008.
The 110th MP Company was deployed in support of OIF 08-09 May 2008. It returned after serving a 15-month tour to the Baghdad AOR in August 2009.
The 148th MP Company continuously rotates military working dog teams through individual K-9 deployments.
The 759th Military Police Battalion remains one of the premier military police battalions of the U.S. Army.
13th Air Support Operations Squadron (U.S. Air Force)The 13th Air Support Operations Squadron traces its unit heritage back to the 13th Air Support Communications Squadron, Jan. 11, 1943. It was redesignated as the 13th Tactical Air Communications Squadron Feb. 29, 1944, but deactivated shortly thereafter April 15, 1944. The squadron was later reactivated in its current state as the 13th Air Support Operations Squadron at Fort Carson July 1, 1994.
Unofficially known as the “Gunslingers” (a nickname given by the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment), the Airmen of the 13th ASOS currently provide close air support to the 4th Infantry Division and its subordinate brigades. The Tactical Air Control Party Forward Air Controllers, now called Joint Terminal Attack Controllers, have a long and proud history of providing close air support to the United States Army. TACPs, in one form or another, have served with distinction in every major U.S. military combat operation since World War II and the earliest roots of close air support operations can even be traced to World War I.
The 3rd Air Support Operations Group (ASOG) is the 13th ASOS’s higher headquarters for all mission and administrative actions, and is collocated with the Army’s III Corps at Fort Hood, Texas. The 3rd ASOG organizes, equips, trains and administers air support operations centers, TACPs and staff weather operations in support of III Corps and subordinate organizations. These units advise Army commanders and their staffs on U.S. and allied air capabilities. They also coordinate attack, airlift and reconnaissance air assets in support of joint battle plans. The 3rd ASOG’s chain of command continues through the 93rd Air Ground Operations Wing, located at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia.
The vision of the 13th ASOS is to develop mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually combat-ready Airmen while protecting our Wingman, strengthening our Families and honoring our heritage.
The mission of the 13th ASOS is to enhance the joint warfighter team by providing combat mission ready Airmen to advise, integrate and control Air and Space Power in support of the 4th Infantry Division.
Army Field Support Battalion-CarsonAlthough Army Field Support Battalion-Carson was only established as a permanent battalion in accordance with Permanent Order 198-01 Oct. 4, 2009, the predecessors and history can be traced back to the 1940s. In the 1940s, the Army hired technical experts termed civilian master mechanics through the Army’s Technical Services with the purpose of conducting hardware and equipment repairs. In the 1950s, their role expanded to include teaching, advising and supply assistance, much like the logistics assistance representatives of today. With this expanded requirement, they were also renamed as mechanical or equipment advisors.
With the activation of Army Materiel Command in 1962, the advisors were aligned under the Technical Service Program and organized under customer assistance offices headed by colonels located at worldwide locations in most areas of strategic interest. In the 1970s, the roles and missions of the CAO expanded to include supply support, management of modification work orders and select item management. With this expansion, they were also redesignated as logistics assistance offices.
The Army began aligning LAOs with maneuver divisions in the 1980s to support projected tactical requirements in a large scale ground campaign with the primary role of providing divisional units reach-back capability to the Army’s large industrial complex.
Following Operation Desert Storm in 1991, the Department of the Army consolidated all Army war reserve stocks, including former theater reserves, into five regional materiel stockpiles: continental United States, Europe, Pacific, Southwest Asia, and afloat. A new subordinate organization, the Army War Reserve Support Command (later redesignated the Army Field Support Command), was created in October 1996 to command and control all APS sets worldwide. The Department of the Army established the Army War Reserve Support Command to serve as its centralized executing agent for all Army Prepositioned Stocks. The Command officially stood up Nov. 25, 1996. The AWRSPTCMD began organizing and implementing the Army prepositioned stocks mission through its worldwide field organizational network. The AWRSPTCMD transitioned to the Field Support Command March 31, 2000. The US Army Field Support Command (FSC), headquarters located at Rock Island, Illinois, was a one-star command that reported to the commander, Operations Support Command. Within FSC, there were six subordinate organizations: AMC-CONUS, AMC Forward-Europe, AMC Forward-Far East and AMC Forward-Southwest Asia plus AMC Combat Equipment Group-Europe and AMC Combat Equipment Group-Afloat.
During Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, FSC continued to mature into its role as the logistics integrator for all theaters. The growth was most obvious in Southwest Asia as the brigades headquartered at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, and Balad, Iraq, steadily continued to expand in mission, size and execution. On Oct. 1, 2004, four AMC forward units were redesignated as Army field support brigades; this included AFSB-SWA (now 401st AFSB), Iraq (now 402d AFSB in Kuwait), Europe (now 405th AFSB) and Far East (now 403d AFSB).
One of the most significant challenges facing FSC was the maintenance and accountability of left-behind equipment and force generation requirements to meet demands of the theater Combatant Commander. To leverage existing CONUS based structures and synchronize other AMC entities in support of the growing LBE and force generation missions, AMC redesignated the LAOs as provisional battalions. On June 7, 2006, the colors of the newly designated battalions were uncased as were the official colors of the redesignated 407th AFSB (formerly AFSB CONUS-West).
As the first provisional Army Field Support Battalion activated, the LAO at Fort Carson received the designation 1/407th AFSB and picked up the tag line “Always First.”
On Oct. 1 2006, the U.S. Army Sustainment Command activated and the U.S. Army Field Support Command was inactivated. More than getting a name change, the unit transformed and gained missions to become the CONUS Theater Support Command while also maintaining the seven globally deployed and CONUS based Army Field Support Brigades.
On June 1, 2008, 1/407th AFSB was redesignated as AFSBn-Carson (Provisional). The provisional designation was changed Oct. 4, 2009, with the establishment of the AFSBns as permanent in accordance with permanent order 198-01. AFSBn-Carson’s structure, through fiscal 2012, included brigade logistics support teams in direct support to each of the four brigade combat teams of the 4th Infantry Division, a BLST designated for the 39th Infantry Brigade Combat Team and the Logistics Support Team, both at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
Fiscal 2013 brings change to AFSBn-Carson with the addition of a fifth BLST, based at Fort Carson, in direct support of the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th Inf. Div. This BLST, authorized on the fiscal 2013 Table of Distribution and Allowances with an effective date of Oct. 04, 2012, incorporates the traditional BLST chief and LMS structure, with additional skilled Army aviation and missile lifecycle management command LARs specific to the unique needs of the varying airframes and aviation specific systems found across today’s modular CAB. AFSBn-Carson officially established the CAB BLST Jan. 4, 2013. With the addition of the CAB BLST, AFSBn-Carson’s authorized structure now includes five BLSTs in direct support of 4th Infantry Division brigades, one BLST in direct support of 39th IBCT and the LST at Fort Sill.
U.S. Army Medical Department Activity, Fort CarsonFort Carson’s original hospital was erected in 1942 and was located between what is now Prussman Boulevard and Woodfill Road. It was made of cinderblock construction and painted buff. The ward buildings were two stories, one ward per floor, with a total of 24 buildings and 48 wards. The buildings were connected with covered cement block corridors. The hospital was designed for a normal bed capacity of 1,726 with an expansion capacity to 2,000 beds.
In July 1942, the hospital was organized as an Army Service Forces Station Hospital with a bed authorization varying from 600-1,200, depending on fluctuations in troop density. Army Service Forces Unit #5022 operated the hospital; the ASU number was an administrative designation for the unit, but the organization was nearly always referred to as U.S. Army Hospital Camp or Fort Carson.
In September 1944, it was activated as a convalescent hospital. This facility and the station hospital already in existence provided treatment for an average of 4,500 patients. In January 1945, it was redesignated as the U.S. Army General Hospital, Camp Carson, and included a convalescent hospital. The patient load gradually diminished and by April 1946, the general hospital and the convalescent hospital were inactivated and the station hospital re-established with a 400-bed authorization.
In May 1946, the Veterans Administration contracted for 100 of the station hospital’s beds. The need for bed capacity decreased after the cessation of hostilities in World War II, and by July 1947 the requirement for the Veterans Administration contract beds was eliminated; the station hospital was reduced to 100 authorized beds. This level remained in effect from 1948-1949.
The bed capacity of the hospital was increased to 400 because of the Korean conflict in July 1950. In February 1951 it was designated a specialized treatment center for orthopedic, psychiatric and neurological cases; in early 1952 the additional mission of a specialized treatment center for tuberculosis was added.
A 1951 report mentions the attachment of the 807th Station Hospital (300 Bed, CZ) from the Reserves. The 807th was under the operational control of the U.S. Army Hospital and ran a dispensary. Beginning with the 1955 report the 807th is no longer mentioned and the 48th Field Hospital is mentioned as attached, but only for training, not under the operational control of the U.S. Army Hospital.
The need for specialization gradually diminished, and only the mission of a Class I station hospital existed by March 1, 1954.
In 1955, when the Army Medical Department was redesignated the Army Medical Service (AMEDS), the Army Service Unit designation went away. For a couple years, records continued to mention “SU 5022,” but after that just AMEDS Activities, Fort Carson. In 1968 the Army Medical Service was redesignated the Army Medical Department and AMEDS Activities became Medical Department Activities - MEDDACs. After the establishment of the Health Services Command in 1973, the hospital unit was officially redesignated as the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity, Fort Carson, with its Soldiers assigned to a Medical Company. HSC was eventually reorganized to become the U.S. Army Medical Command, and the Western Regional Medical Command was later established as an intermediary command and control organization between the USAMEDCOM and the USAMEDDAC, Fort Carson.
The USAMEDDAC, Fort Carson’s mission remained the same until April 1968, when the hospital was given the additional responsibility of providing care for Vietnam War returnees. The bed capacity was increased to 340 on Oct. 1, 1968.
The post-Vietnam drawdown saw doctor shortages in the active force and fostered the routine use of large numbers of civilian health care providers in Army medical treatment facilities.
In 1970, planning began for the new Fort Carson Hospital. It was dedicated June 5, 1986, and occupied in July. Evans Army Community Hospital is named in honor of Spec. Four Donald W. Evans Jr., a member of Company A, 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. Evans was awarded the Medal of Honor for action at Tri Tam, Republic of Vietnam, where he gave his life while administering medical aid to his fellow Soldiers.
The hospital is basically comprised of two distinct buildings separated by a glass-covered common area or atrium. The five-story tower on the north side of the hospital houses all inpatient units, the operating suite, the labor/delivery suite, nursery, radiology, emergency room and the nutrition care division. The two-story clinic building contains the Warrior Family Medicine Clinic and other outpatient clinics. The atrium, which provides the main entries into the hospital, also houses patient services such as an outpatient pharmacy, admissions and dispositions, the hospital treasurer, a gift shop and achapel.
Adjacent to the hospital is the Woods Soldier Family Care Center. This is named for Pfc. Eric P. Woods who served as a Combat Medic with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and was killed in action in July 2005 during combat operations in Iraq. The WSFCC houses numerous outpatient medical clinics, outpatient records, physical therapy, the Iron Horse Family Medicine Clinic and a dental clinic.
On Fort Carson, the USAMEDDAC also operates the Mountain Post Behavioral Health Clinic, five Embedded Behavioral Health Teams/Clinics, Robinson Family Medicine Clinic, DiRaimondo Soldier Centered Medical Home, and the Warrior Recovery Center. Its clinics in Colorado Springs include the Premier Medical Home and Mountain Post Medical Home.
In 2007, the USAMEDCOM established a Fort Carson Warrior Transition Battalion that comes under the command and control of USAMEDDAC.
The USAMEDDAC currently employs about 2,300 military and civilian staff professionals who serve a population of over 74,146 enrolled TRICARE beneficiaries from all military services, Family members and retirees.
Every day USAMEDDAC supports about 3,500 outpatient visits, 41 inpatients, 6 births, 137 Emergency Room visits and 21 operating room cases and fills 3,300 prescriptions.
The hospital was first accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations in October 1954. Subsequent surveys have reaffirmed the hospital’s full accreditation status.